I am interested in replacing my vinyl flooring with wood laminate. I was told that it would not stand up to the beating my dog will give it. He is approx 130 lbs and has strong nails...(he dug through my vinyl flooring during a thunderstorm---no seam was in sight). He is very hard on the floor and I want to put in something that will last. A contractor told me that ceramic tile is not an alternative because the subfloor consists of one 3/4 inch layer of OSB (not stable enough) and that there is not enough room to put down the thickness of subfloor needed. I've always had my heart set on wood floors (be it real or laminate) but I am concerned about the durability. The area to be replaced would spand from the living room through the kitchen/dining area and into a half bath. What would be the best choice for flooring in these areas keeping in mind---the dog?
try this test ,pick a few brands of laminate at your local show room,take a quarter and rub it as hard as you can across the laminate ,try to scratch it,you will find it's very tough. good luck
We have Wilson Art Laminate which is supposed to be one of the best, and we have scratches on it from our dogs. They are not very noticeable, but they are there.
we put in Pergo in our kitchen and are very happy with it. It is designed to look like old wood with a lot of grain in it. If their are any scratches in it I cant tell. We have a 100 lb german shephard that runs thru there and it does not appear to get scratched from him and we have also dropped several heavy glasses on it with no negative results.
Look for a finish that has either aluminum oxide or is a ceramic finish and you wil have found the hardest surface for your application. Dont go to any home center for this stuff, you will need to go to a true flooring store with knowledgable staff who know what they are selling and they will show you what brands are best for this. As for Pergo, stray away from that brand, they dont honor the warranties, and when they do they take their sweet time doing it.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects