My wife and I recently purchased a home in the Maryland suburbs of Washington DC. The house is located in a historic district and we are therefore obliged to pass our plans for an addition to the existing 1928 home through a Historic Preservation Commission. The Commission ruled that we must stucco or synthetic stucco to cover the addition so that it ties in with the main house. What do you recommend a young couple on a tight budget use for this project?... and how does that alternative compare in price with other siding options?
Based on the commission ruling, your choices are limited to using stucco or similar finish on this addition. There is not too much to add to this, you're stuck. Get bids and make it part of your budget. Stucco is not an expensive material, except it is labor intensive to apply. I don't think you will find it is out of line price-wise with good quality wood siding, and is considerably less expensive than masonry. You may be able to save some money by using less expensive exterior sheathing products. Work with your stucco contractor to be sure the framing, sheathing and infiltration barrier make a good foundation for the siding.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight