Underground Stream Problem
I have an underground stream creating an extremely soft spot in my yard.
It's about 15x10 square foot. This area is to soft to walk on or mow. It is about 6ft below the surface.
I can't dig a trench leading to a water run-off ditch that is near by because the run-off ditch is higher in elevation.
I would consider landscaping the area with some sort of rocks and plants that can withstand extremely wet soil.
... How do you know it's an underground stream??? Or is it a low spot with no drainage? YOu said that the 'ditch' is uphill which implies that the soft-spot is, basically, a non-draining yard depression.
If the spot gets a lot of shade, consider pruning back the tree canopy. If the water source from UPHILL (all around the depression) can be diverted elsewhere, then drain/re-route that too. If the spot ends up drying up after a sustained period of no rain, you don't have an underground stream. Believe me - I it was that, you'd have water rising to the surface that's under pressure, and filling the yard in more of an area than just that 10 x 15' area!
Look around, you might find water from a neighbor's lot or your gutters and downspouts are 'feeding' that spot. My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING