Underground Stream Problem
I have an underground stream creating an extremely soft spot in my yard.
It's about 15x10 square foot. This area is to soft to walk on or mow. It is about 6ft below the surface.
I can't dig a trench leading to a water run-off ditch that is near by because the run-off ditch is higher in elevation.
I would consider landscaping the area with some sort of rocks and plants that can withstand extremely wet soil.
... How do you know it's an underground stream??? Or is it a low spot with no drainage? YOu said that the 'ditch' is uphill which implies that the soft-spot is, basically, a non-draining yard depression.
If the spot gets a lot of shade, consider pruning back the tree canopy. If the water source from UPHILL (all around the depression) can be diverted elsewhere, then drain/re-route that too. If the spot ends up drying up after a sustained period of no rain, you don't have an underground stream. Believe me - I it was that, you'd have water rising to the surface that's under pressure, and filling the yard in more of an area than just that 10 x 15' area!
Look around, you might find water from a neighbor's lot or your gutters and downspouts are 'feeding' that spot. My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
I have a drainage ditch/small forest in my side yard about 15 or 20 feet away from the (spring?) holes in the yard.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects