Like many oily woods, Cumaru (Brazilian Teak) is very difficult to dry properly. While a proper pin meter will give what would normally be an accurate reading on many species, it doesn't take into account oils that are deep within the plank. Over time this oil migrates through the wood and right out of it, in fact. So the wood has lost "moisture" in a manner of speaking. It has therefore dried and shrunk. A normal moisture reading taken at install wouldn't have been accurate anyway.
We have had experience with this and many other oily species and most are bad news. Just because it's wood and makes a pretty floor doesn't mean it should be used that way.
I've been a installer for L.L. For md my years . The majority of everything they sell has issues at one time or another. Most of their wood is shipped in from CHINA by boat . Moisture content , quality control , and .... Are just a handful of the reasons for poor product. Inspectors that come out and inspect your floors are for the Corporation that sells the wood flooring and etc.. Inspectors will either blame on installer issue or customer issue ( they will write up report against one or both ). They will always say it's not a product warranty issue ! A inspector make great money and are busy 24/7 ( some get free travel as well ). They make their money by protecting the wood floor manufacturers ( it's like a insurance policy for them ). They can also change their inspection sheets just by talking to the corporate power even though one has already been submitted .
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects