The convenience and superior illumination that electric lights provide can’t replace a flickering candle’s warm glow and ambience. While candles often serve as vital sources of light if the power goes out, the purpose of most of today’s candles is to create a soothing sense of relaxation, set the stage for romance, or add a delightful wafting aroma to a room.
A wide variety of candles are commercially available in various sizes, colors, and scents, but they can’t match the appeal of home-crafted candles. Making candles allows the crafter to impart special touches, such as using custom-blended scents to uplift, improve focus, or create a desired mood.
Crafters can pick and choose candle-making materials and supplies separately, and many do with excellent results. Still, for those looking for a quick-and-easy start, the best candle-making kits offer everything necessary for making candles as soon as the kit arrives.
The best candle-making kit varies from user to user, and the choice often depends on the type, size, and number of candles desired. Ahead, learn what to look for when shopping for a candle-making kit, and find out why any one of the following kits will kick-start your foray into the world of custom candle crafting.
- BEST OVERALL: DilaBee CraftZee Candle Making Kit
- RUNNER UP: DELLABELLA Soy Candle Making Kit
- BEST VALUE: SUPERSUN Candles Making Kit
- BEST BASIC KIT: Hearts & Crafts Candle Making Supplies
- BEST LUXURY KIT: Scandinavian Candle Co. Luxury Candle Making Kit
- BEST BEESWAX: YINUO LIGHT Candle Making Kit Beeswax Scented Candles
- BEST FOR GIFTING: DIY Gift Kits Soy Candle Making Kit (49-Piece Set)
- BEST SMALL CONTAINERS: Hearth & Harbor Tin Candle Jars (4 Ounces)
- BEST LARGE CONTAINERS: Creahaus 8.8OZ Embossed Glass Candle Jars
- BEST PATTERNED CONTAINERS: Double Gift Candle Tins 4 oz, Empty Candle Jars
How We Chose the Best Candle-Making Kits
While you can buy commercially made candles in almost any scent imaginable, nothing compares to the satisfaction of burning or gifting a candle that you made yourself. The best candle-making kits are an excellent addition to an avid crafter’s arsenal. When choosing our top picks for candle-making kits, we considered budget, whether shoppers prefer soy or beeswax, and users’ experience level to provide options that can satisfy a range of requirements and skill levels.
We also noted the type of wax type and fragrance and tins, as well as any additional accessories included in the kits, so shoppers have as much information as possible before making their choice.
Our Top Picks
Most candle-making kits feature various colors and scents and may come with eye-catching containers. While kits vary in size, price, and included accessories, any one of these candle-making kits makes a quality addition to a crafter’s collection.
The DilaBee DIY Candle Making Kit includes 2 pounds of soy wax, a dedicated melting pot, four candle tins with lids, four bright wax colors—purple, orange, green, and red—and four rich scents. The kit contains wooden stirring sticks, a wax thermometer, wicks, and complete instructions. Crafters can add semiprecious gemstones or dried flowers for a custom effect. Also included are self-stick labels that list safe burning instructions.
- Wax Type: Soy
- Scents: Lavender, clean cotton, cinnamon vanilla, coconut lime
- Amount: 32 ounces of wax
- Instructions are clear and easy to follow
- Contains everything needed to get started
- Ideal choice for beginners that’s both comprehensive and budget-friendly
- Scents included may not be to everyone’s preference
Get the DilaBee candle making kit on Amazon.
For those looking for an inclusive candle-making kit that doesn’t cost a fortune, look no further than the Dellabella Candle Making Kit. The kit features a dedicated melting pot, a thermometer, 2 pounds of natural soy wax, two brushed aluminum candle tins with lids, and four scents.
Buyers also receive five wax colors—red, green, brown, orange, and blue—a wax-carving tool, wicks, and two silicone candle molds that can be used many times to create square- and ball-shaped candles. Complete step-by-step instructions come with the kit, and the tools and supplies fit in a handy storage container.
- Wax Type: Soy
- Scents: Lavender, eucalyptus, cherry blossom, sweet orange
- Amount: 2.2 pounds of wax
- Reusable silicone molds are easy to clean
- Comes with a handy storage box; keeps everything organized
- Includes a carving tool to create unique shapes
- Wicks are quite thin and flimsy; can be difficult to work with
Get the DellaBella candle making kit on Amazon.
Beginning candlemakers will appreciate the affordable price of this expansive kit, which includes nine decorative tins, 100 pre-tabbed cotton wicks, 100 wick stickers, and four 4.3-ounce bags of beeswax. The candle tins feature lids and on-trend patterns, so the candles will look as if they came from an expensive boutique. Buyers also receive an instruction booklet, a melting cup, and four colored dyes.
- Wax Type: Beeswax
- Scents: Lavender, orange, lemongrass, mint, eucalyptus, tea tree
- Amount: 17.2 ounces of wax
- Attractive, colorful tins; ideal for home decoration
- Budget-friendly compared to similar kits
- Includes 6 fragrances, which is more than most kits
- Kit does not not provide enough wax to fill every tin
Get the SUPERSUN candle making kit on Amazon.
For candle crafters who already have some supplies and want to replenish their supply of the basics, the Hearts & Crafts candle-making kit may be just the ticket. This bare-bones set (not an inclusive kit) features a 5-pound bag of natural soy wax flakes and comes with 100 wicks and two wick-centering devices.
Crafters can pair the set with various tins or jars, colors, and scents (all sold separately) to create custom-designed candles. The set does not include wax dyes, fragrances, candle tins, or a melting pot, making it best suited to experienced candlemakers who enjoy combining scents and dyes.
- Wax Type: Soy
- Scents: Not included
- Amount: 5 pounds of wax
- Large quantity of wax included; great for big projects
- Ideal for users with their own favorite fragrances
- Comes with handy wick-centering devices
- 100 wicks included
- Fragrance sold separately; not a complete kit
Get the Hearts & Crafts candle making kit on Amazon.
The Scandinavian Candle Co. kit comes with 2 pounds of natural soy wax flakes and six gold-coated aluminum tins with lids. Buyers also receive a melting pot, a thermometer, wooden stirring sticks, wicks, and two custom scent blends.
Wax dye is not included in the kit, so the candles’ finished color will be a natural creamy hue, or crafters can add their own wax coloring. The kit also contains two drawstring cotton gift bags. Buyers also receive step-by-step instructions.
- Wax Type: Soy
- Scents: Lime basil & mandarin, wood sage & sea salt
- Amount: 2 pounds of wax
- High-quality fragrances included
- High-end appearance; great for gift giving
- Kit includes everything required to get started
- Pricier than other options
Get the Scandinavian Candle Co. candle making kit on Amazon.
For long-burning candles with an underlying scent of honey, check out the YINUO LIGHT Candle Making Kit, which contains pure beeswax. The kit features four 7-ounce bags of beeswax flakes, wooden stirring sticks, 10 cotton wicks, wick clips, and six colorful round tins with lids in an attractive bohemian style. Buyers also receive a melting pot, a thermometer, six dye colors (blue, green, pink, orange, purple, and yellow), and six scent oils. A storage bag, safety/usage labels, and complete instructions for making beeswax candles are included.
- Wax Type: Beeswax
- Scents: Lemon, spearmint, rose, lavender, ocean, eucalyptus
- Amount: 28 ounces of wax
- Trendy candle tins come in an assortment of fun colors
- Naturally honey-scented beeswax
- Multiple color dye options
- Includes durable tools to work with
- Melting pot is quite small; not ideal for large batches
- Instructions are not very detailed
Get the Yinuo Light candle making kit on Amazon.
For crafters seeking to create homemade gifts for friends and loved ones, the DIY Gift Kits Soy Candle Making Kit comes with 2 pounds of natural soy wax flakes, four brushed aluminum tins with lids, a melting pot, three essential oils, and four color blocks: yellow, violet, brown, and blue.
Gift bags and four labels round out the kit and give each candle its own unique appeal. Easy-to-understand step-by-step instructions also are included.
- Wax Type: Soy
- Scents: Lavender, cedarwood, lemongrass
- Amount: 2 pounds of wax
- Long-lasting burn; great for everyday use
- Steps are easy to follow; ideal for beginners
- Made in the U.S.
- Essential oils may run out before the wax
Get the DIY Gift Kits candle making kit on Amazon.
Small 4-ounce candles are perfect for giving out as gifts or party favors, and this set by Hearth & Harbor includes 12 simple aluminum tins with lids. The material is lightweight, heat resistant, and won’t rust. Since the tins are plain, they make a blank canvas for custom-made labels.
Stickers featuring the maker’s branding are available for the lids but can be left off if desired. Even though the jars were designed as containers for candles, they could also serve as small vessels for storing candy, medication, or crafting supplies.
- Material: Aluminum
- Containers: 12
- Capacity: 4 ounces of wax
- Affordable containers; great for large candle making projects
- Lightweight and heat resistant containers
- Ideal for adding custom labels for a personalized gift
- Limited burn time due to small size
Get the Hearth & Harbor candle jars on Amazon.
For a high-end look, this kit of luxe 8.8-ounce tins from Creahaus includes nine glass jars with a vintage-inspired yellow hue, though it’s also available with clear, gray, or purple glass jars. The glass is embossed with a subtle pattern, lending to the ornate aesthetic. The kit includes 10 stylish labels with a gold foil trim as well as 10 warning labels for the bottoms of the containers. Crafters also can create custom sticker labels to indicate the candle’s scent.
- Material: Glass
- Containers: 9
- Capacity: 8.8 ounces of wax
- Shatterproof construction is durable and easy to wash and reuse
- Professional-looking embossed glass; ideal for gift giving
- Multiple colors available to suit individual style
- Lids can be difficult to remove
Get the Creahaus candle jars on Amazon.
With twenty-four 4-ounce tins in a variety of patterns, this set from Double Gift is both stylish and economical. Patterns include paisley, floral, autumnal prints, and more. While the kit doesn’t include wax, fragrance oils, or other candle-making supplies, it’s perfect for those who already have basic supplies but need a selection of decorative tins.
While they’re designed to function as candle tins, they also have a range of other applications, such as making storage containers for jewelry, hair accessories, or other small items. Each tin has a lid and weighs 1.2 ounces with a maximum capacity of 4.4 ounces of wax.
- Material: Metal
- Containers: 24
- Capacity: 4.4 ounces of wax
- Large variety of patterns and colors available
- Ideal for gifts
- Can double as small storage containers
- Containers can get very hot during candle burning
Get the Double Gift candle jars on Amazon.
What to Consider When Choosing the Best Candle-Making Kit
Before buying a DIY candle-making kit, crafters should first define their primary purpose for making the candles. Different fragrance oils achieve specific objectives, such as enhancing meditation; filling the room with a fresh, clean aroma; or deepening a relaxed state.
The candle’s design, color, and size, and—if it will be a gift—depend on the intended recipient’s personality and preferences. Additionally, some consumers may prefer candles made with environmentally safe candle wax.
Soy vs. Beeswax Candles
Unless otherwise labeled, most commercial candles contain paraffin, a petroleum byproduct of the fossil fuel industry that typically drips and runs as it burns, potentially leaving candle wax drippings that can be tricky to remove. The jury is out as to whether paraffin candles are detrimental to the environment and human health, but today’s candle-making kits often come with soy wax or beeswax, both of which burn clean and make beautiful candles.
Soy wax is a natural, biodegradable product derived from soybeans. The flame emitted by a soy candle usually is cool and white in color, and soy wax blends well with wax dyes and scents. While beautiful, soy candles have a lower melting point and typically burn more quickly than beeswax.
Many people consider beeswax as the ultimate candle wax because making candles with beeswax dates back thousands of years. Beeswax candles generally produce a warm golden flame, and they burn more slowly than soy candles. Aroma purists who are developing a particular scent may want to avoid beeswax, however, as it often has a touch of a honey-like scent.
Tins and Labels
Most candle-making kits come with either glass or metal containers, and crafters often choose a container that enhances the candle’s intended look and feel. For example, when paired with pure white soy wax, clear glass containers create a brilliant, clear flame that pairs well with cool colors such as silver, white, and gray.
On the other hand, brushed aluminum tins can be decorated with raffia or gingham fabric to create a rustic appeal. Some kits also contain labels for printing a phrase or message or listing the candle’s ingredients.
Scents and Colors
Candle-making kits often contain coordinating colored dye blocks and fragrance oil or essential oils for creating occasion candles, such as pairing green dye with a pine scent for holiday candles or red dye with a strawberry scent for Valentine’s Day candles.
Other scents, such as citronella, prized for its ability to repel insects, help create candles for specific purposes. Many kits offer multiple colors and scent varieties, and crafters also can add scented oils or dyes to enhance the candle’s look and smell.
Candle-making kits include a variety of accessories and convenient extras. Consider these additional supplies:
- Once a pot is used to melt wax, it’s nearly impossible to use it for other purposes, as wax residue can be challenging to remove. Some candle-making kits contain dedicated melting pots that can be used multiple times.
- A thermometer notifies the crafter when the wax reaches the optimal temperature to stir in dyes and scents.
- Most candle-making sets include candle wicks for positioning in the jar or tin before pouring in the hot wax.
- Reusable silicone molds allow the crafter to create freestanding candles.
- Wax-carving tools are sometimes included for engraving or trimming away uneven parts of the candle.
- A dedicated mixing spoon allows the crafter to stir in the ingredients.
- A container for storing candle-making supplies and keeping them organized.
Making candles is a fun, straightforward craft that can be enjoyed by both adults and (supervised) children. For those new to the candle-making experience, a few questions are to be expected.
Q. What should be in a candle-making kit?
A high-quality DIY kit should include wax, candle wicks, and fragrance oils. Additional accessories include a melting pot, dye blocks, labels, and a wick trimmer.
Q. Is it cheaper to make your own candles?
The supplies needed to start making candles can be expensive, but over time, making your own candles may be cheaper than buying expensive scented candles.
Q. Are soy or beeswax candles better?
It depends on the type of candle desired. Soy candles provide a cool white flame that complements weddings and other events, while beeswax candles offer a warmer yellow-tone flame that burns longer.
Q. How many candles can you make out of 10 pounds of soy wax?
The size of the candle determines how much wax is needed. A single pound of soy wax is enough to create two 14-ounce candles, so 10 pounds of wax will create twenty 14-ounce candles or forty 7-ounce candles.
Q. How do you use a candle-making kit?
Candle-making kits come with step-by-step directions, but in general, crafters prepare the tins by inserting and aligning the wicks and melting the wax in a melting pot. When the wax is liquefied, the crafter stirs in color and scent before pouring the hot wax into the tins with a pouring pot.
Why Trust Bob Vila
Bob Vila has been America’s Handyman since 1979. As the host of beloved and groundbreaking TV series, including This Old House and Bob Vila’s Home Again, he popularized and became synonymous with “do it yourself” home improvement.
Over the course of his decades-long career, Bob Vila has helped millions of people build, renovate, repair, and live better each day—a tradition that continues today with expert yet accessible home advice. The Bob Vila team distills need-to-know information into project tutorials, maintenance guides, tool 101s, and more. These home and garden experts then thoroughly research, vet, and recommend products that support homeowners, renters, DIYers, and professionals in their to-do lists.