Also known as whiteboards, dry-erase boards hit the market in the ’60s, but they didn’t gain widespread popularity until several decades later. Today, they’ve not only replaced blackboards in many American classrooms, but they are also commonly used in conference rooms and other work spaces. At home, whiteboard-style calendars and weekly planners are excellent tools for organizing a hectic schedule.
While choosing the best dry-erase board may sound simple, shoppers actually must consider a number of different characteristics. This guide covers the important features to look for as you shop and provides product choices by category in some of the top dry-erase boards on the market.
- BEST OVERALL: Quartet Glass Whiteboard
- RUNNER UP: Mead Dry Erase Board
- BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: U Brands Contempo Magnetic Dry Erase Board
- BEST WEEKLY PLANNER: cinch! Magnetic Dry Erase Weekly Calendar
- BEST PORTABLE: KAMELLEO Mobile Whiteboard
- BEST WALL-MOUNTED: VIZ-PRO Dry Erase Board/Whiteboard
- BEST WITH BULLETIN BOARD: maxtek Combination White Board & Bulletin Cork Board
- BEST FOR KIDS: Scribbledo 6 Pack Dry Erase Small White Board
What to Consider When Choosing the Best Dry-Erase Board
Although it may seem that all dry-erase boards are the same, a number of factors affect their functionality, including size, material, magnetization, additional features, and more.
First, consider the dry-erase board’s size. Although size varies widely, from small handheld models to large boards, generally, dry-erase boards measure from 11 inches by 8 inches to 96 inches by 48 inches.
Dry-erase boards are usually made of one of the following materials:
- Melamine, a resin-infused paper, is used to make inexpensive dry-erase boards. It’s typically mounted to particleboard or medium-density fiberboard (MDF). Melamine whiteboards vary in quality and their resistance to ghosting, which is the buildup of chemical residue on the surface. Because melamine whiteboards may stain with use, they aren’t the best choice for institutional settings.
- Painted steel dry-erase boards, which use a multilayer coating to achieve a dry-erase effect, also allow the use of magnets.
- Porcelain whiteboards, both durable and scratch resistant, also are magnetized. Marks from dry-erase markers wipe away easily on porcelain whiteboards.
- Tempered glass dry-erase boards, which are usually expensive, are quite durable. Marker ink is easy to erase on glass.
Steel and porcelain whiteboards and some glass boards are magnetized, so they can double as bulletin boards. Magnetization allows users to attach paper documents, photos, and other notices to the board.
Dry-erase boards sometimes come with additional features to increase their convenience and functionality.
- A storage ledge provides a place to keep markers, erasers, and other desk accessories.
- A calendar-style dry-erase board displays fixed days of the week or month.
- While many dry-erase boards include a single black marker, additional markers in multiple colors are handy for organization.
- A grid design can display graphs and architectural drawings.
- Markers with a built-in eraser make purchasing a separate eraser unnecessary.
- Some styles of dry-erase board are reversible, providing double the writing surface.
Mount a dry-erase board in one of several ways:
- Magnetic backing allows the user to place the whiteboard directly on a fridge.
- Mobile dry-erase boards are mounted on a frame and have wheels, allowing users to transport them from room to room. They’re ideal for educational and workplace environments.
- Double-sided Velcro strips make it possible to mount lightweight whiteboards to walls without causing any damage—a smart pick for renters and college dorm rooms.
While most dry-erase boards include all the hardware needed for mounting, you may want to double-check the product’s description before making a final purchase.
Our Top Picks
The top picks consider all these features as well as the overall quality and value of each product. Keep reading to discover some of the best dry-erase boards on the market in a variety of categories to get organized at home, school, or work.
For use in the classroom, boardroom, or at home, this glass whiteboard from Quartet features the brand’s Brilliance Glass, a high-contrast surface that allows writing to show up clearly. It’s designed with durability in mind, with a dent- and scratch-resistant surface that also prevents stains and ghosting. The tempered glass is completely opaque.
The board comes with a removable accessory tray, a marker, and two high-power glass board magnets. This model is 4 feet wide by 3 feet high.
From Mead, wall-mounted dry-erase board has plenty of room to write. It’s a good choice for an office, staff room, or homeschooling space. The frame is aluminum, the surface is melamine, and the product includes contains all the mounting hardware needed to install the board either vertically or horizontally. An accessory tray attaches to the frame and provides storage space for markers and erasers.
The manufacturer recommends extending the life of the whiteboard by cleaning the surface regularly with a board cleaning solution. Markers and erasers are sold separately.
This compact dry-erase board by U Brands is constructed of durable painted steel that resists staining and ghosting. The surface is magnetized, allowing it to double as a bulletin board. The board comes with a single magnet and a medium-point, black dry-erase marker with a built-in eraser.
Install the whiteboard via its double-sided Velcro strips, which allow users to mount the board to nearly any flat surface. The board is a good size for a fridge, locker, or dorm room door.
This weekly calendar sticks directly to the fridge with a fully magnetized backing. The board comes with four fine-tip markers in red, blue, black, and purple, and an eraser, all of which are magnetized. To help the ink flow easily, place the markers upside down.
This mobile dry-erase board from KAMELLEO has four caster wheels that glide smoothly and lock into place as needed. The coated steel board is double-sided and rotates 360 degrees with the push of a button and a simple flipping motion. The adjustable height and angle make the board comfortable for individuals of varying heights.
The VIZ-PRO dry-erase board uses durable melamine and comes in a wide range of sizes to offer options for home, school, or office use. The scratch-resistant aluminum frame includes a detachable clip-on marker holder for added convenience. It’s compatible with all dry-erase markers and wipes clean easily.
Choose from a variety of sizes, from 36 by 24 inches to 96 by 48 inches. Install the board vertically or horizontally with the mounting kit, which includes screws that attach to the frame’s plastic corners. Markers and erasers must be purchased separately.
This multifunctional option performs as both a dry-erase board and a bulletin board, with magnetic-coated steel whiteboard on one side and natural cork on the other. Pin notes, photos, memos, or a calendar to the bulletin board side, and jot down notes on the dry- erase board.
The board includes 12 push pins, three markers, an eraser, six magnets, and a detachable marker tray. Wall mounting is easy—either vertically or horizontally—with the hardware kit, which includes wall anchors and movable hanging hooks.
A fine choice for the home or classroom, Scribbledo’s offers a six-pack of dry-erase boards, each measuring 9 inches by 12 inches. Kids can doodle to their heart’s content, erasing mistakes as they go. The boards also become a teaching tool to help with homework or practice penmanship. Each board is thin, lightweight, and fits in a backpack, and they are one sided.
The kit includes six whiteboard erasers, but markers must be purchased separately.
FAQs About Dry-Erase Boards
Ready to get organized? Here are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about dry-erase boards.
Q. What’s the difference between a whiteboard and a dry-erase board?
The terms “whiteboard” and “dry-erase board” refer to the same type of product.
Q. What’s the best dry-erase board material?
The most durable dry-erase board materials are painted steel, tempered glass, and porcelain.
Q. How do I clean and maintain my dry-erase board?
Clean your dry-erase board with a damp cloth and commercial whiteboard cleaner or a DIY blend of isopropyl alcohol and water.