This microplush velvet electric blanket deserves a spot on your sofa for its ability to deliver consistent heat and automatically shut off after three hours of lounging or napping. The built-in thermal system senses and adjusts the heat level throughout the blanket to keep you warm—but not too warm—all over. You can control how toasty the throw blanket (50 by 60 inches in size) gets by selecting from three heat settings on the ergonomically-designed remote and throw it into the washer and dryer with use. It comes with a five-year limited warranty.
Buyer’s Guide: Electric Blankets
For help navigating the wide array of options, start here with our guide to the key considerations—and don't miss our top picks among the best electric blankets available.
BobVila.com and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.
- Best OverallSunbeam Microplush Heated Throw BlanketCheck Latest Price
- RUNNER UPSunbeam Loftec Heated BlanketCheck Latest Price
- Best for CouplesBiddeford Microplush with Sherpa Electric BlanketCheck Latest Price
Many of us look for warmth and coziness in a blanket. If you’re looking for a source of supplemental heat comfort, be it for bed or around the house, consider an electric blanket. Ahead, see our top picks among the best electric blanket options around, and our guide to the ins and out of choosing the right one for your budget and needs. From size and safety to technical capabilities and features, there’s a lot to take into account!
- BEST OVERALL: Sunbeam Microplush Throw Camelot Cuddler Heated Electric Warming Blanket
- RUNNER UP: Sunbeam Loftec Heated Blanket
- BEST FOR COUPLES: Biddeford MicroPlush Sherpa Electric Heated Blanket
- BEST WEARABLE OPTION: Beautyrest Soft Sherpa Heated Blanket Wrap
- BEST FOR HEAT CONTROL: Woolrich Heated Plush to Berber Electric Blanket
- BEST FOR COLD FEET: Sunbeam Heated Throw Blanket
- BEST FOR SPEEDY HEATING: MaxKare Electric Blanket Heated Throw Flannel
What to Look for in the Best Electric Blanket
Appearance and Price
Electric blankets come in a host of different sizes, so think about how and where you’ll want to use yours. If you want to snuggle up on the couch while reading or streaming television, a throw-sized model might suit your needs. If you’ll be sleeping under it every night, you’ll likely want your blanket to be the same size as your bed.
Electric blankets are available in California King, King, Queen, Full, and Twin sizes, as well as smaller sizes similar to that of a typical throw. There’s a wide assortment of solid colors and various patterns from which to choose. While some have a quilted texture and others do not, electric blankets are usually very soft to the touch, made of fleece or microfiber.
Across the landscape of today’s electric blankets, there are more than a few features worth considering.
- Heat settings. Many electric blankets have up to 10 heat settings so you’re sure to find the temperature that feels best to you.
- Automatic shutoff. This feature, which automatically cuts off the blanket’s heating mechanism after a specific time (usually eight to 10 hours), is an important safety feature that can keep you and your surroundings from overheating or even catching fire. It comes standard in most modern products, but do double-check to make sure.
- Separate controls. If you’re sharing your blanket with a loved one who likes things warmer or cooler than you do, opt for a blanket with two zones, each with its own separate controls.
- Machine washing. Many electric blankets can be cleaned and dried in your home’s laundry machines.
Although it feels like a soft, simple textile, an electric blanket is actually an appliance and should be treated as such. When using an electric blanket, so be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for safe use.
The Best Electric Blankets for Your Home
Made of eight-millimeter-thick Loftec polyester, Sunbeam’s most plush electric blanket for full- to king-sized beds is here to replace all those many layers of extra blankets you’ve been using to keep warm at night. The blanket’s thermal system delivers uniform heat at your choice of 10 heat settings, all controlled via remote. The Sunbeam, backed by a five-year limited warranty, automatically shuts off after 10 hours to prevent overheating and promote safety.
There’s no need to fight over the remote when you buy this extra-large electric blanket. The queen and king sizes feature two digital controllers so that you and your other half can each find personalized comfort at one of the 10 possible heat settings. Speaking of comfort, this reversible blanket has it all: a plush microfiber top and a soft sherpa underside. And you can feel good about safely leaving it on overnight, too, thanks to a 10-hour automatic shut-off. It comes with a five-year limited warranty.
Bundle up without restricting the movement of your arms in this poncho-style electric blanket measuring 50 by 64 inches. Available in a variety of solid colors and patterns, the Beautyrest cloaks you in the comfort of plush polyester with a micro berber lining. Switch between the three heat settings on the remote control, and the heat will automatically shut off after two hours as a safety precaution. It comes with a five-year limited warranty.
Sensitive sleepers can find precisely the temperature they need to nod off thanks to this electric blanket, which offers 20 heat settings and dual controllers on the queen- and king-sized models. Available in twin to king sizes and seven colors, this reversible blanket with its microplush top and sherpa underside will warm you even when the heat is off. And, during use, the blanket’s flexible internal wires are barely detectable. Rely on the 10-hour auto shut-off feature to prevent overuse. It comes with a five-year product warranty.
While most electric blankets leave your fingers and toes exposed, this 50-by-62-inch microplush throw blanket keeps extremities warm under wraps in two large built-in pockets for the hands and feet. Extra heat concentrates near the base of the blanket to keep your toes even toastier. But the real reason folks love it is that it offers excellent all-over warmth through three remote-controlled heat settings. In addition, there’s a three-hour automatic shut-off feature to keep you safe and protect your investment.
When you need heat in a hurry, count on this rapid-warming electric blanket to deliver full-body warmth fast. Three remote-controlled heat settings of the blanket let you adjust the warmth to your preferred temperature between 95 and 113 degrees Fahrenheit, plus, the automatic shut-off feature means that forgotten manual shut-offs are never a problem. The detachable remote means you can use it as a normal blanket for even longer than its useful life. (Its silky flannel top and velveteen sherpa underside preserve the heat generated to maximize your comfort). This blanket comes in throw, twin, and full sizes. Warranty information provided by the manufacturer upon request.