The Best Power Hedge Trimmers for Every Landscape
Find the right tool to tame your shrubs and keep your landscape looking sharp.
The shape and tidiness of your shrubs is a crucial component of curb appeal. Whether you’ve got a densely landscaped plot with all manner of hedges and trees or a simple series of bushes lining the perimeter, regular upkeep is critical. Luckily, with today’s power trimmers it’s easy to groom that growth like a pro, saving you the cost of hiring a gardener.
We’ve got the lowdown on the different types of tools and the most highly recommended models to help you pick the best hedge trimmer for your property’s needs.
- BEST OVERALL: DeWalt DCHT820B 20V Lithium-Ion Hedge Trimmer
- BEST GAS-POWERED: Echo HC-152 Gas-Powered Hedge Trimmer
- BEST ELECTRIC: BLACK+DECKER HT22 4-Amp Hedge Trimmer
- BEST BATTERY-POWERED: BLACK+DECKER LHT321FF 20V MAX Lithium-Ion PowerCommand Hedge Trimmer
- BEST VALUE: Greenworks 22012 2.7-Amp Hedge Trimmer
- BEST DESIGN: Makita XHU02Z 18V Lithium-Ion Cordless Hedge Trimmer Kit
- BEST COMPACT: Worx WG255.1 20V MAX Lithium Power Share Cordless Hedge Trimmer
- BEST FOR TALL HEDGES: Sun Joe SJH902E 4-Amp Telescoping Hedge Trimmer
Important Considerations for a Power Hedge Trimmer
Find your type. You’ve got two options: gas and electric. Choose between the two based on how much power and portability you need.
- Gas-powered hedge trimmers. These tough tools, which generally require both oil and gas to run properly, tend to work harder than their electric counterparts. The downside to more power is weight: Gas hedge trimmers may be more than 10 pounds, making it a challenge to reach up and around tall shrubbery.
- Electric-powered hedge trimmers. While they don’t provide quite as much oomph as gas-juiced models, electric trimmers are usually lighter, making them easier to wield at chest height or higher. Lower-priced corded models offer uninterrupted use but less mobility because they’re plugged into an outlet—a problem for larger yards. Battery-powered trimmers mean total freedom of movement, though you must recharge or replace batteries regularly.
Choose a cut above the rest. Another factor to consider is how big of a branch the trimmer can tackle. Most slice through branches up to 1/2-inch thick, while more powerful models can usually handle up to an inch in diameter. Check the size of the gap between the blade’s teeth; the greater the gap, the higher the cutting capacity. A majority of trimmers have a gap between 3/8 to 3/4 of an inch to manage common hedges cleanly.
The Best Hedge Trimmers
So what really makes the cut? We’ve scoured reviews from both the experts who tested selections out in their laboratories and the consumers who have added these power landscaping tools to their collections to find today’s top models.
1. BEST OVERALL: DeWalt DCHT820B 20V Lithium-Ion Hedge Trimmer (battery not included)
The 11.5-pound DeWalt DCHT820B runs on a powerful 20-volt lithium-ion rechargeable battery that’s interchangeable with a handful of other battery-powered DeWalt landscaping tools. Owners of the tool note that its battery life lasts between 20 to 40 minutes, full power. Its 22-inch blades are dual-action, meaning they move in two directions, to easily slice through branches up to 3/4 inches thick with 40 percent less vibration and reduced noise. The DCHT820B comes with a 3-year limited warranty, 1 year of free service, and 90-day money-back guarantee. Buy now.
2. BEST GAS-POWERED: Echo HC-152 Gas-Powered Hedge Trimmer
At 11.8 pounds, the Echo HC-152 is well-balanced for a gas-powered tool and still top-performing. Its two-stroke engine has a commercial-grade air filtration system—to cut down on fumes—and the 20-inch reciprocating blades are razor-cut for lasting sharpness and precision. Experts note special features like a muffler to dampen noise and “easy to maneuver” handle design. Customers rating the tool highly as well, noting among other things that the tool can “cut a hardwood branch up to 3/4-inch” thick. Buy now.
3. BEST ELECTRIC: BLACK+DECKER HT22 4-Amp Hedge Trimmer
Efficient and affordable, weighing in at only 5.5 pounds, the electric BLACK+DECKER HT22 promises easier maneuverability and less vibration than your typical gas trimmers. It is an electric model you need to plug in, but the power tool can still tidy small- to medium-sized yards without needing a break to recharge. With a 4-amp engine and 22-inch dual-action blades made of hardened steel, the HT22 can handle branches up to 3/4-inch in diameter. Buy now.
4. BEST BATTERY-POWERED: BLACK+DECKER LHT321FF 20V MAX Lithium-Ion PowerCommand Hedge Trimmer
With the LHT321FF hedge trimmer, BLACK+DECKER has set the gold standard for battery-powered garden tools. Its 20-volt lithium ion battery can trim up to 3,000 square feet in a single charge. The blade spans 22 inches long and features dual-action for increased efficiency and reduced vibration. The LHT321FF can cut through branches up to 3/4-inch in diameter. At just under 8 pounds, this model is “sturdy and reliable” according to happy homeowners who own it. Buy now.
5. BEST VALUE: Greenworks 22102 2.7-Amp Hedge Trimmer
The Greenworks 22102 hedge trimmer has a smaller engine (2 amps), but this budget pick doesn’t skimp on top-of-the-line features. Its 18-inch dual-action steel blades will cut through branches ⅜-inch thick, no problem. The 22102 is also quieter than gas trimmers and one of the lightest recommendations in this list (about 7 pounds). It’s considered by non-biased, third-party experts to be an ideal choice for small yards, so keep in mind that you should reserve it for light to moderate trimming. Buy now.
6. BEST DESIGN: Makita XHU02Z 18V Lithium-Ion Cordless Hedge Trimmer Kit
With zero emissions and high customer ratings, this 12.5-pound cordless hedge trimmer is a clear winner. The Makita XHU02Z will run for up to 120 minutes when used on the optimal low-power settings—and it only needs 40 minutes to fully recharge its battery. The trimmer owes its long battery life to an 18-volt lithium-ion battery, which delivers clean, lasting power to the 22-inch cutting blade. The manufacturer boasts that the Makita XHU02Z is also 25 times quieter than comparable models. Buy now.
7. BEST COMPACT: Worx WG255.1 20V MAX Lithium Power Share Cordless Hedge Trimmer
This compact, energy-efficient trimmer weighs little more than a laptop—about 6 pounds. What it lacks in size, it makes up in power. Customers report that the Worx WG255’s optimal run-time is 40 to 45 minutes from a 20-volt lithium ion battery. The dual-action steel blades, meanwhile, are protected by a rustproof aluminum cover and slice through twigs and branches up to 9/16-inch in diameter. Buy now.
8. BEST FOR TALL HEDGES: Sun Joe SJH902E 4-Amp Telescoping Hedge Trimmer
For out-of-reach branches, forget the ladder (which can be unstable) and try a telescoping hedge trimmer. Sun Joe’s SJH902E electric trimmer has just the adjustable pole you need, one that reaches heights of up to 13 feet. Then, the 21-inch hardened steel blade attaches to a pivoting head to reach and prune branches up to 7/10 inches thick. Its weight of about 9 pounds will require some upper body strength to maneuver above your head, but most consumers are happy with this telescoping trimmer for reducing their gardening time at a budget-conscious price. Buy now.