A good mattress typically lasts between eight and 15 years. When the time comes to buy a new one, it’s best to do so promptly to avoid unwanted risks to your rest (and, in turn, your health). Some telltale signs that it’s time to replace your old mattress include noticeable sagging or damage to the mattress, noise (creaky inner springs), difficulty sleeping comfortably, or consistently waking up with muscle or joint stiffness. An old mattress also can contribute to allergies and trigger asthma.
When faced with such a financial investment, many savvy shoppers would look to save where they can. Buying a mattress online is one such excellent way to save money. While brick and mortar retailers often charge more to cover the operating expenses of their showrooms, online retailers offer the same great quality as the showroom without the overhead. Plus, the best mattress on Amazon could come with free Prime shipping in as few as two days! If you are ready to shop for a new mattress, read on for help in choosing some of the best mattresses for your slumber.
- BEST OVERALL: Signature Design by Ashley 12 Inch Hybrid Innerspring
- BEST HYBRID: Sunrising Bedding 10 Inch Natural Latex Hybrid
- BEST MEMORY FOAM: Ashley Furniture Signature Design 12” Memory Foam
- BEST PLUSH: AmazonBasics 12-Inch Memory Foam Mattress
- BEST COOLING: Sealy 12-Inch Hybrid Bed in a Box with CopperChill
- BEST FOR BACK PAIN: Casper Sleep Original Hybrid Mattress
- BEST FOR STOMACH SLEEPERS: Sealy Response Performance 12-Inch Tight Top
- BEST FOR SIDE SLEEPERS: Classic Brands Cool 1.0 Gel Memory Foam 14-Inch
- BEST FOR BACK SLEEPERS: Nod by Tuft & Needle, Adaptive Foam 8-Inch Mattress
- BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: Signature Sleep 13″ Hybrid Coil Mattress
Types of Mattresses You Can Buy On Amazon
Amazon boasts a great selection of popular innerspring mattresses, as well as up-and-coming types like memory-foam, gel-infused foam, latex, and hybrid mattresses. Innerspring is the most familiar choice, but the other types offer significant benefits that you’ll want to know about before buying.
Innerspring mattresses, also called coil mattresses, have steel springs inside that compress when a sleeper lies down. Variability in quality relates directly to the number of springs. More springs equal better support and higher quality. Spring configuration matters as well.
The springs inside these mattresses come in a variety of designs. In a continuous coil system, a single wire forms the entire interlinked support structure. Continuous coils offer durability and affordability. Bonnell coils are hourglass-shaped individual coils that interlink with one another. Bonnell coils fall in the middle price range. Offset coils have a similar shape to Bonnell coils, but with a flattened top for more durability, less noise, and more support.
Marshall coils also are called pocketed coils, wrapped coils, and encased coils. The independently wrapped barrel-shaped wire coils provide excellent support. Spring gauge is a measurement of the wire, with higher numbers signifying thinner wires and softer springs. Conversely, a lower gauge number means thicker wire and stiffer springs.
Innerspring mattresses have been around for more than a century. They still represent the most commonly sold mattresses because of tradition, their affordability, and the springy feel they provide.
Hybrid beds combine the springy-feeling of innerspring with the added cushion and support of latex or foam. Mattresses in this category are increasing in popularity because they offer more total comfort than other mattress types.
In a hybrid mattress, the base layer includes innerspring technology. The upper layer acts as an integrated mattress pad made of either latex or memory foam. Hybrid mattresses can provide a full range of comfort options by mixing and matching various materials and technologies.
Latex mattresses provide contouring support and pressure relief, almost as well as memory foam does. On the upside, Latex adds a degree of springiness that memory foam does not have. The benefit of a latex mattress over a memory foam mattress is that latex is bouncier and holds less heat.
Two common processes in latex mattress construction create different types of products. Dunlop latex is poured all at once, creating a dense layer at the base of the mattress and a softer upper section. Talalay latex is vacuum processed and frozen to create uniform density throughout.
Latex comes in either natural or synthetic forms. Natural latex is derived from the sap of the rubber tree. Synthetic latex is a petrochemical product.
Memory-foam mattresses offer excellent contouring and pressure relief. They easily take on a sleeper’s body shape while lying down, and slowly return to form when the sleeper gets up again. They also offer pressure-point relief and promote proper spinal alignment.
Memory-foam mattresses are highly-resistant to allergens, including dust mites. They work well with adjustable beds and are great for isolating motion. They provide good insulation, too, which is not ideal for hot sleepers.
Gel-infused foam counteracts the insulating property of regular memory foam. Although gel conducts heat, it does so much slower than foam. The result is a more consistently comfortable sleep for those who get hot overnight.
What to Consider When Choosing the Best Mattress on Amazon
Choosing the best mattress for you depends on several factors unique to your sleep style. The materials the manufacturer puts into the mattress, as well as its density and firmness, affect your sleep comfort. Matching the material to your preferred sleep position is critical as well.
- Back sleepers should first consider either memory-foam or hybrid mattresses. These mattresses conform well to support the spine, neck, and head. Back sleepers should steer clear of ultra-firm beds, starting instead in the ultra-plush to medium comfort categories.
- Side sleepers generally do well with soft mattresses. Rather than simply using a mattress topper on a firm mattress, it is best to replace an old mattress with an ultra-plush or medium comfort level mattress. The extra padding reduces pressure points at the shoulders and hips.
- Stomach sleepers need a firm mattress to ensure that their spine won’t be misaligned during sleep. They should avoid the temptation to purchase that comfy-looking plush mattress.
- Soft memory foam adds a sense of comfort and offers therapeutic support for those with back pain. It’s also a good choice for back sleepers and side sleepers. Plus, because it moves only where touched, a bed partner won’t be disturbed when the other sleeper gets up early. Some people consider a memory-foam mattress too squishy or too hot. Gel-infused foam helps to cool the sleeping body.
- Innerspring mattresses are budget-friendly, springy, and the type that most often come to mind when thinking of mattresses. Although they tend to be more affordable, that doesn’t mean they are uncomfortable. They come in different levels of quality, with the number and type of innersprings being the quality-determining factor. It’s also important to find one with the right amount of cushion. Springs provide the support, but cushion ultimately determines the comfort.
- Latex might sound like an odd material for a mattress, but rubber provides firmness, which is great for folks with chronic back pain. Latex mattresses offer a nice balance between hard and squishy, with a little bit of bounce.
- Hybrid mattresses are the fastest growing trend in the industry. They combine innerspring and foam. The innerspring lower layer gives the entire mattress a classic bounce. The foam upper layer contours and provides pressure-point relief. There are numerous combinations and options in hybrid bed technology that promise to solve many sleep issues.
Density & Firmness
Mattress foam density measures firmness. The higher the density, the more support the foam provides. Innerspring mattresses receive their firmness from the number of springs and the gauge of the metal in the springs. The lower the gauge, the thicker the metal, and the firmer the bed.
The firmest mattresses have the highest foam density or more innersprings made of lower-gauge metal. The softest mattresses have low foam density or high-gauge springs. The best innerspring mattresses always have more springs, firm or soft, than lower-quality alternatives.
Sleep Trial Period & Warranty
The only way to know if the mattress you choose is going to be the best mattress for you is to actually sleep on it. This is especially important when buying online. Look for a sleep trial period of between 30 and 365 days.
Mattress warranties typically extend to 5, 10, or 20 years. To maintain the terms of the warranty, be sure to follow manufacturer instructions regarding the setup and maintenance of the mattress. Use a mattress protector from the first night onward. Companies might void warranties if the purchaser uses the wrong kind of foundation or frame, or because of staining, soil, or fluid penetration.
The details that create a comfortable bed, and a great night’s sleep, come from several key mattress features. The following are some of the most critical:
- Contouring: Contouring is a means of support that is especially pronounced in foam mattresses. When a mattress conforms to the unique shape of the body, that is what is meant by contouring. Memory-foam mattresses take just a few moments to contour to an individual’s particular shape, providing excellent support. When the person gets up, memory foam reverts to its original shape. Innerspring mattresses immediately take a less detailed shape when a person lies down.
- Pressure Relief: Each sleep position creates a unique set of pressure points on the body that need cushioning. Pressure relief is particularly important to back sleepers, side sleepers, and those with chronic joint pain, especially in the shoulders, hips, or back. Plush and medium comfort foam mattresses relieve pressure by distributing weight evenly across the surface of the mattress.
- Motion Isolation: Motion isolation is important for couples to prevent the movement of one person from disturbing the other. Innerspring mattresses with individually encased coils isolate motion fairly well compared with other spring types. Hybrid and foam mattresses are much more effective at keeping the peace.
- Temperature Regulation: Innerspring mattresses allow for excellent air circulation to help control the buildup of heat and humidity at the surface. This is the best option for hot sleepers. Standard closed-cell memory foam builds up heat throughout the night, which is fine for cold sleepers and those not bothered by excessive warmth. Gel-infused foam builds heat more slowly than foam alone. It offers the benefits of foam with less added heat. Other factors, including open-cell foam layers and cooling fabric coverings, also assist in mattress temperature regulation.
- Reinforced Edge Support: Edge support keeps the sides of the mattress from collapsing. This type of reinforcement can increase the sleep surface of the mattress by up to 20 percent. Reinforced edge support is especially important for couples sharing a full or queen bed.
How much should you plan on spending on your new mattress? Average pricing varies significantly based on the kind of mattress you buy and the quality of materials. Buyers can find value at numerous price points. The price range estimates below are based on queen-size mattresses.
- Innerspring: $250 to $2,500
- Foam: $250 to $2,000
- Latex: $500 to $2,500
- Hybrid: $300 to $2,200
Our Top Picks
Be sure to have your personal wish list on hand while shopping online so you can consider all the options and get the most from your mattress purchase. If you’re looking for a new mattress, check out these picks, by category, of some of the best mattresses on Amazon.
The Signature by Ashley Furniture 12 Inch Hybrid Innerspring mattress provides numerous features for a good night’s sleep. This hybrid innerspring and foam mattress delivers the support of a traditional coil mattress that contours to the body, along with added firmness and support from layers of high-density foam and gel memory foam. Gel memory foam adds excellent cushion and support for the lower back and other pressure points. This hybrid mattress is made from hypoallergenic materials that keep out dust mites and pollen.
The mattress arrives compressed and boxed. Just bring it into the bedroom, carefully remove the plastic, and unroll. It is safe and ready to sleep on immediately. However, it might take up to 48 hours to fully decompress and 72 hours until any residual factory odor dissipates.
After opening, this mattress requires little maintenance and is a no-flip mattress. Using a thin mattress protector to allow airflow and to dissipate heat, can protect its surface. The only regular cleaning needed is occasional vacuuming. Stains can be cleaned with mild soap and water.
The Sunrise Bedding 10-Inch Natural Latex Hybrid Mattress is constructed with a base layer of 852 premium pocket coils that work independently to isolate motion. Three layers of conforming foam materials create a medium level of cushion and conform closely to the body to alleviate pressure points and align the spine. Advanced Air memory foam and gel memory foam layers promote air circulation to remove excess body heat and promote cooling.
The natural latex layer is made with Talalay latex technology. Natural latex does not contain formaldehyde, benzene, naphthalene, or any other toxins that other memory foams can harbor. However, those with sensitivity to latex should avoid this choice.
This mattress includes a 120-night trial, with a full refund policy. It also includes an outstanding 20-year warranty.
The Ashley Furniture Signature Design 12-Inch Memory Foam Mattress offers layers of memory foam for firm support and pressure relief with a firm feel. The support foam core reduces motion transfer for a restful, undisturbed sleep. A stretch-knit cover promotes breathability to help reduce body heat buildup. This mattress is made of hypoallergenic materials to keep dust mites, pollen, mold, and pet dander out.
A firm mattress like this one makes an excellent choice for stomach sleepers and heavier folks. Though most sleepers should love the feel of this mattress, some might consider it too hard.
The AmazonBasics 12-Inch Memory Foam Mattress features three foam layers for optimal support and cushioning. A plush memory foam layer adapts to the shape of the body and comfortably conforms to different sleep positions. The middle, soft foam layer has breathable air holes that help air to circulate within the mattress. A hard foam bottom layer provides durability, stability, and enhanced body support.
This mattress requires a firm foundation like a platform. Though most types of sleepers will find a plush mattress like this comfortable, some might consider it to be too soft.
The Sealy 12-Inch Hybrid Bed in a Box with CopperChill offers the best of both worlds with a combination of fabric-encased coils and memory foam. CopperChill fused memory foam can significantly reduce body heat buildup to provide a cooler, more comfortable sleep. A reinforced coil border around the perimeter of the mattress effectively increases its sleeping area, increases overall durability, and provides better support when sitting up to get out of bed in the morning.
This mattress is rated for medium comfort, which is generally recommended for side, back, and combination sleepers. Some sleepers might find this mattress is too soft for their comfort.
The Casper Sleep Original Hybrid Mattress offers three zones of targeted support for proper spinal alignment. Soft foam around the shoulders brings more relief to the upper body. Firm foam under the hips, waist, and lower back helps align the spine. A layer of perforated, breathable foam increases airflow to reduce the buildup of body heat for better overnight comfort. This hybrid mattress has a resilient spring base that adds lift, support, and increased airflow through the mattress. It comes with a 100-night trial and free return policy.
The Casper offers a good balance of innerspring support and foam contouring that can help decrease pressure and align the spine for a more comfortable sleep. Some sleepers might find it a bit softer than desired.
Stomach sleepers need firm support to maintain proper spinal alignment during sleep. The Sealy Response Performance 12-Inch Tight Top Mattress offers plenty. The response coil system provides a balance of comfort and deep-down support. Posturepedic Technology delivers reinforced support under the heaviest part of the body where it is most needed. A reinforced foam border around the mattress edge adds to the usable sleep surface and provides a firm foundation for sitting on the edge of the bed while getting up in the morning. In addition, sleepers get two layers of foam that add contouring and cushion for outstanding comfort.
This is an innerspring mattress. It provides a feeling of sleeping “on” rather than “in” the mattress. It is bulkier in shipping than some competitors’ products but doesn’t require decompression time before use.
Classic Brands Cool Ultimate Gel Memory Foam 14-Inch Mattress features premium pressure-relieving memory foam and high-density aerated cool gel memory foam. Together, they provide the essential support and deep comfort that side sleepers need. Gel-infused ventilated memory foam creates a plush, cool, comfortable sleeping surface. High-density foam relieves pressure points and conforms to body shape to provide excellent support.
Hypoallergenic materials in the Classic Brands mattress resist allergens, mold, and bacteria. It comes with a 10-year warranty. This mattress might be too firm or too soft for some sleepers, but can be a good choice for side sleepers.
Back sleepers enjoy the benefits of the adaptive foam in the Nod by Tuft & Needle Adaptive Foam 8-Inch Mattress. The high-quality foam offers the benefits of latex and memory foam without the sleeper sinking or getting too hot. The foam materials balance softness and support with localized bounce. This is a value pick for outstanding quality at an accessible price. The mattress Includes a 100-night sleep trial period and a 10-year warranty.
A plus of Tuft & Needle’s adaptive foam is that the mattress doesn’t bottom out, even at only 8 inches thick. It should provide consistent support from top to bottom. This feeling is not “mushy,” like some buyers perceive as the feel of other memory-foam mattresses. In addition, the mattress does a good job of dissipating body heat. Its “new foam mattress” smell might linger a bit too long but eventually fades.
The Signature Sleep 13-Inch Hybrid Coil Mattress offers generous support from the bottom up. Ten inches of independently encased coils provide excellent weight distribution and motion isolation. The coil layer also contours to the curves of the body, alleviating pressure points. The 3-zone foam pillow top provides soft support for the upper and lower body, and a firmer center zone to support the waist, hips, and lower back.
It can take a couple of days for the 3-inch foam pillow top to fully decompress after shipping. Some sleepers might feel the mattress is too soft or lacks edge support. Still, it is a good value and low in chemicals for an environmentally- and budget-friendly, versatile mattress pick.
FAQs About Your New Mattress From Amazon
You may have questions about buying a mattress from Amazon. Below are the answers to a few frequently asked questions.
What is Amazon’s mattress brand?
Amazon sells its own branded mattresses under the brand AmazonBasics.
Is shipping free if I don’t have Amazon Prime?
Amazon customers receive free shipping when the order includes $25 of eligible items. Select “free shipping” at checkout.
How can I return an Amazon mattress?
Log in to your Amazon account and click “Your Account.” Click “Orders.” Select the order that includes the mattress you need to return. Click “Return or replace items.” Amazon will contact you to schedule a pickup of the mattress. You can also call Amazon customer support at 1-866-216-1072. Ask for the Large Items Team.