At only 3.5 inches high and 13.4 inches in diameter, this machine’s patented 3-stage cleaning system and dual multi-surface brushes grab dirt from carpets or hard floors for up to 90 minutes while a full suite of advanced sensors allow it to skim under open-leg chairs and sofas without getting stuck. An Edge Sweeping brush takes care of corners and Cliff Detect keeps it from falling down stairs. The iRobot Roomba 675 learns your cleaning habits and can automatically create a customized cleaning schedule. The iRobot HOME app will also suggest extra cleanings when the pollen count is high or during pet shedding season. With Alexa and Google Assistant compatibility, you can start a cleaning session with just your voice. The Dirt Detect sensor alerts the robot about dirtier areas of your home and will clean them more thoroughly. When the iRobot’s battery runs low or the job is complete, the vacuum automatically returns to dock in its recharging station.
The Best Robot Vacuums for a Clean, Dust-Free Home
Looking to hire a high-tech robot vacuum to do the dirty work for you? The best robot vacuums have impressive cleaning power at a reasonable price point.
BobVila.com and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.
- Best OveralliRobot Roomba 675 Robot VacuumCheck Latest Price
- Best ValueGOOVI by ONSON 1800Pa Robotic Vacuum CleanerCheck Latest Price
- Best for Small Spaceseufy by Anker RoboVac G30 EdgeCheck Latest Price
The desire for a better, more convenient way to vacuum reached its inevitable conclusion with the advent of robot vacuums. Though early models were more novel than practical, the best robot vacuums have improved by leaps and bounds, swiftly becoming household helpers well worth the investment for gadget lovers, clean freaks, and everyone in between.
Key Considerations for Choosing a Robot Vacuum
Cost vs. Cleaning Power
If you vacuum your home often, robot vacuums can save you a significant chunk of time in your cleaning routine. The more expensive models tend to boast superior cleaning power. As you might expect, the least expensive robot vacuums typically deliver the least power, and they don’t always operate on all types of flooring. Mid-range models are more effective, but don’t judge a robot vacuum’s efficacy strictly on price; consider the features that may make one model more suitable for your needs than another.
Figure Out the Features
When choosing a robot vacuum, homeowners are often most interested in the machine’s cleaning power, but the effectiveness of any specific model depends on a variety of factors, such as the size of the room you intend to clean, the type of flooring you have, the vacuum’s battery life, and the vacuum’s ease of operation. Before choosing a model, consider the following:
- Floor Covering: Check the manufacturer’s specs carefully. Some models are designed for low- and medium-pile carpeting but not shag, while others should only be used on solid floorings, such as hardwood planks or tile.
- Battery Life: Even if a robot vacuum advertises great suction, it won’t clean effectively without a properly charged battery. Manufacturers often list battery run time as well as the area size (in square footage) that the vacuum will successfully clean on a single charge. During an extensive cleaning cycle, some models will even automatically dock in their charging stations until refueled and then continue vacuuming where they left off.
- Remote Control: While the exact functions depend on the model, many robot vacuums come with remote controls to program the operating modes or activate the vacuum when necessary, whether to clean the whole room or just one spot on the floor.
- Smart Technology: Newer robot vacuums connect to WiFi, allowing users to operate them remotely through an app on their smartphones. In addition to programming the miniature machines as a remote might otherwise do, the app may also monitor the robot’s cleaning progress, battery life, and dustbin.
- Size and Shape: Though all are relatively close in size (ranging from 2.8 inches to 5 inches tall), the height of a robot vacuum can be a tie-breaker between two leading models. Ideally, you’ll want to choose one that clears even short chair or table legs and other low-to-the-floor furniture. The round shape you’ll see in most robot vacuums allows for easy turning and route patterns, but the D-shaped models can turn flat for close cleanup along the baseboards.
- Program Options: To cater to the amount of cleaning you need, robot vacuums often include a selection of operating modes: “turbo” modes that offer quick and intense cleaning power, “eco” modes that save battery power, and “quiet” modes that won’t interfere with your every day (studying, working, or television time). The ability to program a cleaning schedule in advance—typically from three to seven days—may also be high on your priority list for a vacuum that makes the whole chore practically automatic.
Our Top Picks
We considered factors such as height, suction power, edge sensors, smart technology, and battery run time to determine the best robot vacuums.
This budget-friendly option from GOOVI features a 2.83-inch-tall profile and 1800Pa of suction power to absorb dust, debris, and dirt. Infrared sensor technology helps identify furniture, obstacles, and stairs to prevent collisions and falling. Set schedule cleaning times and adjust cleaning modes via remote control and enjoy 120 minutes of cleaning power before the vacuum needs to dock and re-charge. Compared to robot vacuums that cost considerably more, the GOOVI offers just as many features and delivers just as much satisfaction.
Neither carpeting nor low furniture can stop the Eufy RoboVac G30 Edge. Its slim, 2.85-inch tall design fits under most furniture, while its large wheels ease transitions from hard flooring to low or medium-pile carpeting. The Path Tracking Sensor ensures that the G30 Edge adapts to change of surfaces while remaining on the most efficient route to clean each room. With 2000Pa of suction power, it ensures more debris is picked up across all surfaces giving you noticeably cleaner floors. The advanced brushless motor significantly reduces vacuuming noise and when the job is done check out where and when your RoboVac cleaned on the app’s cleaning history. The nine built-in infrared sensors ensure the Robovac is constantly aware of its surroundings and able to detect the boundaries you set, confirming it only cleans the areas you want. While in use, control the G30 Edge using your voice via Alexa or Google Assistant. Helpful voice-prompts inform you of the RoboVac’s current status and guide you through any problems that may occur. Running quietly for up to 100 minutes at a time, the RoboVac auto-docks when it’s finally out of juice. Five cable ties are provided to help you better organize wires and power cords when using the RoboVac.
Precision mapping and a revamped drivetrain make the Roborock S4 the ideal robot vacuum for large homes. The powerful 2000pa of suction will easily clean hard floors and carpeting. The floating main brush adjusts its height for the perfect clean, dropping close to the ground when cleaning hard floors and rising on the carpet for proper agitation. The S4 can run up to 150 minutes of non-stop cleaning that’s equivalent to a total area of 2691 square feet. A high-precision laser navigation system scans your room at 300RPM, creating a real-time map of your home that is accurate to up to 2 centimeters. Through the app, you have total control of power levels, scheduling, and creating no-go zones. With four onboard cliff sensors, the S4 can scan the floor and avoid going over edges. When the battery is low, it will return to its dock and recharge to 80 percent capacity before continuing with the cleanup.
If a robot vacuum sounds like your idea of convenience, chances are you’ll like this robotic mop as well. At 3.3 inches high, the Braava Jet is designed to sweep and mop those hard-to-reach spots on hardwood, tile, laminate, vinyl, and concrete floors. The precision jet spray and vibrating cleaning head help tackle dirt around toilets, corners, and below cabinets by using an efficient and systematic cleaning pattern. Choose a cleaning pad—wet, damp, or dry—that corresponds to the type of cleaning you need based on your floor type and the Braava Jet automatically sets the appropriate cleaning mode. For a long-lasting scent, add the Braava Jet hard floor cleaning solution and when the robot’s work is done, carry it to the trash, press the pad eject button, and release the disposable cloth into the garbage can.