This shower curtain is made of heavy-duty polyester and ready to withstand the wear and tear of frequent use. It’s also nontoxic, anti-bacterial/microbial, and naturally mildew repellent. Available in a range of sizes up to 96 inches, the Barossa Design comes in five different color and pattern combinations.
The Best Shower Curtains for the Bathroom
Find a shower curtain that’s the perfect size, style, and fabric for your bathroom.
BobVila.com and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.
- Top PickBarossa Design Damask Fabric Shower CurtainCheck Latest Price
- Runner-UpAimjerry Mold-Resistant Fabric Shower CurtainCheck Latest Price
- Runner-UpmDesign Premium 100% Cotton Shower CurtainCheck Latest Price
Besides adding privacy, shower curtains introduce softness and style to the bathroom. Shower curtains also help prevent water from escaping the shower stall, but that’s not their main function. Shower curtains differ from shower liners. Liners are made of waterproof fabrics like nylon or polyester and are typically placed along the inner rim of a tub or shower to prevent leakage. Curtains are placed over the liner, outside the shower or tub. Ahead, we’ll outline exactly what factors we considered and prioritized to develop our short list of recommendations.
- TOP PICK: Barossa Design Damask Fabric Shower Curtain
- RUNNER-UP: Aimjerry Mold-Resistant Fabric Shower Curtain
- RUNNER-UP: mDesign Premium 100% Cotton Shower Curtain
- ALSO CONSIDER: MACOFE Flower Shower Curtain
What Makes a Great Shower Curtain?
It’s not all about design. Consider the following before you add a curtain to your bag:
Shower curtains are made of both synthetic and natural materials.
- Synthetic materials like polyester and plastic are durable, waterproof, and wrinkle-resistant. They perform especially well in bathrooms that get a lot of wear and tear—for example, if you have small children. One drawback with synthetics is they can look and feel a bit stiffer and cheaper than natural fabrics. However, these shower curtains clean up easily: simply spray with a shower cleaner or toss into the washer/dryer. Polyester is one of the most popular curtain options. It resembles natural fabric in softness but is more water- and mildew-resistant. Polyester curtains can be washed in cool water in your washing machine and dried on the gentlest setting.
- Natural fabrics like canvas, cotton, hemp, and linen are both eco-friendly and luxurious-looking. These fabrics can be easily laundered according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Keep in mind, however, that natural fabrics are not waterproof, so you must have a good quality liner to keep the rest of your bathroom dry.
In general, standard shower curtains measure from 70 to 72 inches in width and 70 to 72 inches in height. To determine the right curtain size for your bathroom, however, you will need to measure:
- For width, measure your curtain rod, then add 12 inches to include the curtain folds to provide full coverage.
- For height/length, measure from the bottom of the curtain rod to the floor. To keep your curtain as free from dirt and moisture as possible, you’ll want the bottom edge to just touch the threshold. If you have a bathtub, you can subtract up to 10 inches from the curtain length, depending on how long you want it to hang. If you intend to swag your curtain to one side using tie-backs, you will want several inches of additional length, since the curtain will appear shorter when tied back.
Shower curtains are hung from the rod using hooks or hookless grommets. Hooks are the most traditional and popular hanging style. You can find hooks in a range of metal finishes, as well as plastic. Hookless curtains are quicker to install, using grommets that simply snap open and shut around the rod. Unlike metal or plastic hooks, these grommets also slide across the rod more smoothly, with less noise.
Our Top Picks
The simple design of Aimjerry’s white chevron pattern lends eye-pleasing design and instant sophistication, but this curtain isn’t all about style. Its practicality shows up in its 12 reinforced metal rings and in the durable utility of its waterproof polyester fabric.
For a natural fabric curtain with blanket-like softness and spa style, opt for mDesign’s Premium cotton shower curtain. Its heavy-weight, waffle-weave fabric has a wonderful texture that lends a luxurious look and feel. Fortunately, the curtain will withstand machine washing—with bleach, if necessary.
Want flower power for your shower? There’s nothing fragile about MACOFE’s polyester curtain, thanks to 3D printing technology that creates vibrant colors and clear images that stand up to machine washing. The fabric and inks are non-toxic, and shoppers praise its unique pattern and high quality.