Many people spend an hour or more a day in the bathroom. While most probably feel safe and comfortable, many slips and falls occur in the bathroom. Moisture and humidity levels make bathroom surfaces slippery and its occupants more accident-prone. Using a nonslip shower mat is an easy way to boost safety in the bathroom.
By adding a slip-resistant layer to the shower stall or bathtub floor, a mat stabilizes and cushions footfall, making showering less stressful. This guide discusses some of the best shower mats to prevent slips in the bathroom. Paired with the perfect bath mat, a shower mat will bring peace of mind to morning and evening routines.
- BEST OVERALL: Kmat Shower Mat Non-Slip Bathtub Mat
- BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: Tike Smart Extra-Long Non-Slip Bathtub & Shower Mat
- BEST FOR TUB SHOWER: Gorilla Grip Original Patented Bath, Shower Tub Mat
- MOST COMFORTABLE: Bowerbird Original Anti-Fatigue Shower Stall Mat
- BEST ANTIMICROBIAL: SlipX Solutions White Square Rubber Safety Shower Mat
How We Chose the Best Shower Mats
We researched the most sought-after bath mats in their respective categories and discovered that the best options are determined by their size, materials, support and adhesion, colorways, and other special features included by top brands.
While searching for the best nonslip shower mats, we discovered that the top shower mats on the market come in various sizes for different shower and tub dimensions ranging between 39 inches long by 16 inches wide to 21 inches long by 21 inches wide. As for materials, each of the bath mats we chose are nontoxic as well as BPA-, phthalate-, and latex-free and made of plastic, vinyl, rubber, foam, and thermoplastic elastomer (TPE).
As for preventing slips and falls, many of these options come with hundreds of suction cups for excellent adhesion and support. Or, some options are made with foam padding for extra support. Some of these picks are machine washable for easy maintenance. Finally, many are made with drainage holes or Microban antimicrobial treatments to prevent mold, mildew, and odor buildup.
Our Top Picks
Bring some added safety and comfort to the shower stall or bathtub with one of these top picks. Each selection is nontoxic, free of BPA and phthalates, and comfortable for bare feet.
This shower mat from Kmat is made of heavy-duty TPE that is free of BPA, latex, phthalates, and it won’t leach toxins. It fits most shower stalls and bathtubs, and its nonslip surface helps prevent tumbles. This textured mat contains hundreds of suction cups that firmly grip the shower floor.
The mat features hundreds of drainage holes to keep water from collecting and causing mold and mildew. To prevent soap scum and other debris buildup over time, remove the mat from the shower or bathtub, rinse it regularly, and allow it to air-dry. This durable mat comes in gray, blue, and blue-gray.
- Size: 25 inches long by 15.7 inches wide
- Material: TPE
- Colorways: 3
- Heavy-duty construction; BPA-, latex-, and phthalate-free
- Nonslip texture prevents slips and falls; hundreds of suction cups
- Drainage holes are built-in; no pooling, mold, mildew, or air bubbles
- May require rinsing regularly
- May not be suitable for textured or tiled surfaces
Get the Kmat bathtub mat at Amazon.
A safe, nonslip, nontoxic shower mat doesn’t have to cost a lot. This extra-long shower and bathtub mat by Tike Smart is ideal for tub showers. Designed with kids, older adults, and people with physical disabilities in mind, it contains 200 powerful suction cups for maximum, long-lasting grip.
This shower mat is cushioned for extra comfort and will cover the entire tub shower surface, leaving nothing to chance. Made of phthalate- and BPA-free vinyl, this mat is heavy enough to lay flat without curling.
- Size: 39 inches long by 16 inches wide
- Material: Vinyl
- Colorways: 23
- Nontoxic construction; phthalate- and BPA-free
- Extra-long design; ideal for large showers and bathtubs
- 200 suction cups with long-lasting grips
- Cushions for extra comfort and stability
- Not suitable for rough or textured flooring
Get the Tike Smart shower mat at Amazon.
This heavy-duty Gorilla Grip tub shower mat boasts incredible strength and comfort. The extra-large mat is covered by 324 strong suction cups in between unique hexagonal drainage holes, which circulate water to keep the tub clean. This mildew-resistant mat is free of BPA, phthalates, and latex, without the unpleasant smell that is sometimes associated with plastic mats.
The Gorilla Grip tub shower mat can be machine washed on cold with gentle detergent (no bleach) and should be left to air-dry. Rinse and air-dry after each use to avoid oily and slippery buildup that may occur from soaps. This product comes in 21 colors, available as a single mat or in a pack of two. Note that it should not be placed on newly refinished surfaces.
- Size: 35 inches long by 16 inches wide
- Material: Plastic
- Colorways: 21
- Extra-large construction; suitable for large showers and tubs
- 324 strong suction cups and hexagonal drainage holes
- Mildew-resistant and BPA-, phthalate-, and latex-free construction
- Machine-washable design
- Should not be placed on newly applied surfaces
- Takes some work to maintain properly
Get the Gorilla Grip shower mat at Amazon.
Those who suffer from aches and pains—particularly in their feet and legs—would benefit from this anti-fatigue shower mat by Bowerbird. Every time someone steps into the shower, the soft, cushy foam surface on this mat offers support and comfort. It’s especially useful for individuals with lower-body issues that cause pain and instability, as well as anyone simply wanting a more comfortable shower experience.
The nontoxic foam is free of BPA, phthalates, and latex, with a surface structure that won’t absorb water, preventing bacteria and mold growth. The square-shaped mat is available in two sizes and two colors: cream and warm gray. Make sure to first apply anti-slip stickers or tape to a shower stall floor; position the mat on top to provide the most stable, nonslip effect.
- Size: 21 inches long by 21 inches wide; 27 inches long by 27 inches wide
- Material: Foam
- Colorways: 2
- Anti-slip design; added cushioning for comfort and stability
- Nontoxic material; BPA-, phthalate-, and latex-free
- Nonabsorbing material; limited chance of mold and mildew buildup
- Comes in multiple colors and sizes
- Smaller than comparable options; may require multiple bath mats for large bathtubs and showers
Get the Bowerbird stall mat at Amazon.
Designed especially for shower stalls, this all-natural shower mat from SlipX Solutions features extra-gripping power for a solid, nonslip surface. Its 140 suction cups attach to smooth shower floors, adding a layer of comfort and safety. Made of premium natural rubber, this mat is embedded with Microban antimicrobial treatment, which inhibits odor and bacteria and won’t wear off over time.
The rubber mat is also very easy to clean. Simply toss it in the washing machine or rinse and air-dry after use. Its square shape fits standard shower stalls, and it’s available in white, tan, and gray.
- Size: 21 inches long by 21 inches wide
- Material: Natural rubber
- Colorways: 3
- 140 suction cups; anti-slip design prevent slips and falls
- Microban antimicrobial treatment; inhibits mold, mildew, and odor
- Easy to clean and maintain; machine washable
- Suitable for small showers and bathtubs
- May take some work to maintain
Get the SlipX Solutions shower mat at Amazon or Target.
What to Consider When Choosing the Best Shower Mat
To select the best shower mat, first consider all its characteristics, including material, size, color, care, and maintenance. Read on to learn more about the important features to look for in the best shower mats to prevent slips in the bathroom.
Material and Slip Resistance
Most shower mats offer a measure of slip resistance, though the materials that provide this feature vary. Look for a mat made with a nontoxic material that doesn’t contain chemicals like BPA and phthalates, which researchers have linked to certain health risks. Based on their anti-slip properties, the most popular materials for shower mats include:
- TPE is free of BPA and phthalates. Mats made of these materials are embedded with suction cups that attach with a strong grip to the shower or bathtub floor, offering a layer of padding plus safety.
- Vinyl and polyvinyl chloride (PVC) are extra-durable materials and may be a bit thicker than plastic or thermoplastic polymer mats, allowing them to lay flat without curling up. However, both vinyl and PVC raise the potential for health concerns, typically when people are exposed to vinyl chloride in high amounts. Weigh the risks and benefits before purchasing a shower mat made of these materials.
- Rubber is a nontoxic material that also has natural, nonslip qualities. Rubber shower mats are durable, long lasting, and can withstand daily use. They’re easy to clean and may be embedded with antimicrobial and antibacterial treatments to prevent odors and staining. If latex allergies are a problem, however, steer clear of rubber mats.
- Foam mats provide comfort and are recommended for individuals with foot issues or general aches and pains. However, they’re not always slip-resistant. To achieve the best of both worlds, apply nonslip stickers or tape to the shower or bathroom floor and place the foam mat on top for comfort plus grip.
Size and Color
Shower mats are sized according to their length and width, and most come ready to place in a standard shower stall or bathtub with no installation required. In general, shower mats are available in two shapes: square (for shower stalls) and rectangular (for bathtubs). Before purchasing a shower mat, first measure the shower stall or bathtub floor. Then, choose a mat that is slightly smaller so that it will fit easily.
Many shower mats come in neutral colors, like white, tan, gray, or transparent, to fit unobtrusively into the shower or bath area. However, brightly hued shower mats are also available to add a splash of fun to children’s bath-time rituals.
Care and Cleaning
Even the best-quality shower mat must be cleaned regularly, much like showers. Although some products claim to be antibacterial and mildew-resistant, a mat with suction cups on the back is especially susceptible to mildew and mold. Over time, damp conditions breed mold and mildew as well as odors and stains.
To prevent damage to the shower mat, rinse it after each use and hang it up to air-dry. Some shower mats are machine washable; in this case, wash the mat every week or two to remove the soap scum and stains.
The Advantages of Using a Shower Mat
Shower mats can be essential in helping to prevent slips and falls in the bathroom, especially if there are kids, elderly individuals, or anyone with a disability or chronic pain condition. The primary reasons to consider purchasing a shower mat include:
- Shower mats can help prevent slips and falls: Up to 80 percent of falls in the home occur in the bathroom, and a nonslip shower mat can decrease the likelihood of a fall on a wet surface.
- Shower mats can also ease aches and pains, especially with those made of rubber or foam.
- Many shower mats are easy to clean and maintain.
Tips for Using a Shower Mat
Buying a quality shower mat doesn’t have to be difficult. Once the appropriate material, size, and color for the shower or bathtub is selected, follow these guidelines for purchase and care.
- Look for a shower mat with built-in suction cups and drainage holes.
- Even “antibacterial” shower mats must be rinsed and air-dried regularly, so don’t skimp on care and upkeep.
- Cushioned shower mats are beneficial for the feet and joints but may need to be secured with additional nonslip stickers or tape.
If you choose a quality product, a shower mat can last a long time, keeping your entire household safe from dangerous slips and falls. Check out some of the most frequently asked questions about shower mats and their corresponding answers to learn more about selecting the best shower mat for your needs.
Q. Are shower mats sanitary?
Yes, provided they are rinsed and air-dried regularly, shower mats are sanitary. Or, toss them in the washing machine and dryer for a thorough clean, if applicable.
Q. How often should I change a shower mat?
With proper care, a shower mat can last a long time. Change a shower mat only if it becomes a hazard, which usually occurs when the nonslip backing begins to fail.
Q. How do teak shower mats work?
Teak is a very water-resistant wood, which makes a teak shower mat a logical addition to shower areas. Teak shower mats also drain water easily. However, these mats should not be used inside the shower; they are intended only to prevent water damage to the floor outside the shower stall or bathtub.
Why Trust Bob Vila
Bob Vila has been America’s Handyman since 1979. As the host of beloved and groundbreaking TV series including “This Old House” and “Bob Vila’s Home Again,” he popularized and became synonymous with “do-it-yourself” home improvement.
Over the course of his decades-long career, Bob Vila has helped millions of people build, renovate, repair, and live better each day—a tradition that continues today with expert yet accessible home advice. The Bob Vila team distills need-to-know information into project tutorials, maintenance guides, tool 101s, and more. These home and garden experts then thoroughly research, vet, and recommend products that support homeowners, renters, DIYers, and professionals in their to-do lists.