Things to Know
When Insulating Basement Walls
1. All moisture issues should be dealt with before insulating basement walls.
2. Rigid foam is often the best option for DIYers.
3. Installation methods include furring strips or a standard 2×4 wall system.
Be sure to check your local building code to determine if a vapor barrier is also required with either method.
4. All gaps in the insulation should be sealed.
*BobVila.com and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.
5. Most building codes require a thermal barrier when insulating basement walls.