Reviews Lawn, Garden & Pool

A Tested Review of the Lettuce Grow Farmstand: Is It Worth the Price?

This innovative system grows 36 full-size plants in just 4 square feet with no app access required.
Jenn Ryan Avatar
The Lettuce Grow Farmstand full of growing plants in a home during testing.

Photo: Jenn Ryan for Bob Vila

We may earn revenue from the products available on this page and participate in affiliate programs. Learn More ›

Growing fresh produce year-round is difficult without a greenhouse. Yet many homeowners don’t have the space or funds to build one, which is why indoor hydroponic systems have become popular in recent years. The best hydroponic systems allow users to grow fresh greens and other produce in small spaces without the need for soil or even sunlight.

The Lettuce Grow Farmstand is one such hydroponic system. I tested Lettuce Grow’s largest Farmstand model, which grows 36 full-size plants in just 4 square feet of space. I tested it in two locations in my home: in a guest bedroom during the summer, and in a small garage during the winter.

I recommend this system because of its quality, how easy it makes growing plants, and its well-constructed sustainable materials, such as recycled ocean-bound plastic. As one of the largest indoor hydroponic systems available, it also allowed me to grow plenty of fresh greens for my whole family.

Lettuce Grow the Large Indoor Farmstand with Glow Rings: At a Glance

Rating: 9/10

Lettuce Grow Farmstand Review

SPECS

• Size: 79 inches tall by 22 inches wide by 22 inches deep
  • Capacity: 36 plants
  • Additional features: pH kit, pH stabilizer, plant food, timers for pump and lights

PROS

• Easy assembly thanks to a single plastic pipe running down the center of the system
  • Comes with plant food, a pH kit, and timers, as well as optional app access
  • Runs on mechanical timers, so app-syncing and internet connection are not required
  • Users also have the option to use the system outdoors

CONS

• Cord holder on the front of the water reservoir didn’t work well during testing
  • 2 separate cords are needed for lights and water pump, which detracts from the system’s visual appeal
  • Replacement seedlings are expensive

Get the Lettuce Grow hydroponic system at:

What is the Lettuce Grow Farmstand?

The Lettuce Grow Farmstand is a freestanding hydroponic system. The Farmstand comes in several different sizes, but I tested the largest model, which measures 79 inches high and 22 inches in diameter and grows 36 full-size plants. However, the system can be adjusted to grow as few as 18 plants by removing the top sections and light rings.

Made with recycled ocean plastic, the Farmstand consists of a 20-gallon water reservoir that sits on the floor and multiple top sections that twist together with the circular LED light attachments (called Glow Rings) to form the plant-growing body. A plastic pipe runs through the middle of the system to drizzle water over the plants and back down into the reservoir.

Two separate cords connect the lights and water pump to separate timers. I set the light timer to be on for 17 hours a day, which is what the manufacturer recommends to get optimal plant growth with this model. I set the watering pump to go off for 15 minutes three times a day, which is less frequent than what the manufacturer’s instructions recommend, but I found it worked well for my purposes. The numerous cords and bulky timers are one drawback to this system, as they make it less attractive than other large hydroponic systems.

Assembling the Lettuce Grow Farmstand

Despite its size, the Farmstand is surprisingly easy to assemble. Each section twists into the other to lock, and the cords for the Glow Rings need to be connected to each added section. A durable plastic pipe, which runs through the center of the system, connects to the water pump that rests at the bottom of the reservoir.

Although most sections were simple to assemble, I found that some were difficult to rotate and lock into place, requiring a bit more elbow grease. I was able to assemble the system by myself in about an hour, and the only extra tool I needed was a step ladder to finish assembling the very top of the system.

The Farmstand includes both printed and digitally accessible instructions. I appreciated this, as I prefer to have paper instructions to refer to when assembling to minimize the risk of dropping or misplacing my phone.

How to Use the Lettuce Grow Farmstand

Thanks to its automatic timers and self-watering capabilities, the Farmstand is simple to use. It also comes with 36 seedlings (plants that have already sprouted and are ready for the system). This was a bonus, as I didn’t have to wait a few weeks for plants to sprout and develop strong enough roots to put them in the system—everything was ready to go out of the box.

Once I filled up the water reservoir, set the timers, and added plant food, the system was in full operation. No app access is required to use the system, either. In fact, unlike other hydroponic systems, the Farmstand operates off of mechanical timers, so internet access isn’t required to operate the system. However, this is also a con, as the light and watering schedule cannot be adjusted when you’re away from home. Having the option for app-controlled light and water schedules would be ideal.

The system doesn’t need any special maintenance outside of adding plant food, topping off the water reservoir once a week, and, of course, harvesting plants as they grow. 

One drawback is that when plants get large enough, the leaves can press against the lights and become discolored. However, I’ve found this is a common issue with indoor hydroponic systems and can be minimized with regular plant harvesting and pruning.

Although I didn’t test the system outdoors, the Farmstand is designed for indoor and outdoor use. For outdoor use, gardeners need to remove the Glow Rings and ensure the system is placed in an area close to a power outlet (to power the water pump) and with enough sunlight to nurture the plants.

Thanks to this system’s modular design, gardeners also have the option to remove top sections and their corresponding Glow Rings to make the system smaller. I personally did not test the system this way, though.

Lettuce Grow Farmstand

Does the Lettuce Grow make growing plants easy?

Because the plants arrive already sprouted and ready to go, the Lettuce Grow Farmstand is a hydroponic system that’s ideal for people who typically have trouble growing plants. There’s no need to sprout seeds, thin plants, or transplant seedlings. All I needed to do was place the little seedlings in their cups and pop them into the Farmstand’s body.

The seedlings arrived in perfect condition, and even though I needed to delay transplanting a third of them by several weeks, they survived and still looked great when I transplanted them. Not a single plant died during the growing process, which is something I haven’t found with other hydroponic systems.

Since the plants arrive pre-sprouted, they grow quickly once they’re inside the Farmstand. I also found that they lived for a long time, even with regular harvesting. After several months, many of the original plants that came with the system are still growing strong and show no signs of slowing down.

That being said, another con to this system is that its circular shape makes harvesting plants difficult if the system is placed against a wall, which is how I tested it in both of my locations. It was hard to reach plants that were close to the wall. However, Lettuce Grow does sell a dolly that is designed for easy rotation and movement of the system, though I haven’t tested it myself.

The Lettuce Grow is also difficult to move. During testing, I moved it to a different location, but the water reservoir is heavy and made the process cumbersome. Rather than attempting to lift it or empty the reservoir to make it lighter, I found it was easiest to move it by placing a tarp beneath it and sliding it across the ground.

I like the fact that the system does not require Wi-Fi. If my internet goes down, the system still reliably waters itself and turns the lights on and off according to the timers. However, gardeners who travel frequently or are away from home a lot might prefer a system that is controlled via an app, such as the Gardyn 2.0. With the Farmstand, app access is optional. The app doesn’t give gardeners the ability to control water and light schedules, but it can provide reminders about harvesting, replenishing the plant food, and topping off the water reservoir.

Another thing I didn’t like about the Lettuce Grow was the cords. As I mentioned, there are two separate cords, one for the lights and one for the water pump, which gives the system a messy look. Although there is a cord holder on the front designed to make the system look a little neater, it did not work well during my testing—the cords simply popped out.

Is the Lettuce Grow Farmstand worth the money?

The Lettuce Grow Farmstand model that grows 36 plants retails for $1,373. This price includes:

• The entire system, including the water reservoir, top attachments, Glow Rings, timers, cords, and seedling baskets
  • A set of 36 ready-to-plant seedlings
  • Plant food, a pH testing kit, and pH adjuster

Although the price is high, this kit comes with everything growers need to get started. Despite its impressive size and plant capacity, I was surprised by how easy the system was to set up on my own. There’s also no maintenance required except for adding plant food, topping off the water reservoir weekly, and harvesting plants as they grow. 

Users have the option to purchase additional seedlings when it’s time to grow more plants. However, because of the price of the seedlings, I didn’t do this. Instead, I purchased some mineral wool cubes and sprouted my own seeds in the Lettuce Grow baskets, which worked just as well, although purchasing the seedlings from Lettuce Grow is the easier option.

Lettuce Grow Farmstand

Should you buy the Lettuce Grow Farmstand?

For people who have limited space and gardening knowledge but want to grow a full garden, the Lettuce Grow Farmstand is worth the cost. With the ability to grow 36 full-size plants in just 4 square feet of space and coming complete with lighting, seedlings, and a pH test kit and adjuster, the Farmstand includes everything users need to get started growing. 

With the Lettuce Grow, I noticed less plant crowding than with the Gardyn 2.0. Even when the plants grew large, there was less chance of them blocking each other from light and stunting plant growth, which is a common issue with the Gardyn system. The Lettuce Grow also offers a larger growing capacity than the Gardyn: 36 plants compared with 30.

I also loved that the Farmstand is made with high-quality materials. Compared with other hydroponic systems I tested, it didn’t feel flimsy. Each component of the system felt durable and strong. It’s also made with recycled ocean-bound plastic and comes in 100 percent recyclable packaging, making it more eco-friendly.

Where to Buy the Lettuce Grow Farmstand

Get the Lettuce Grow hydroponic system at:

Meet the Tester

Jenn Ryan is a writer and sustainability enthusiast who has been writing for BobVila.com since 2020 and has been an organic gardener since 2015. Jenn writes about eco-friendly and sustainable solutions and products for BobVila.com as well as numerous other publications, including Popular Mechanics. She takes a detailed approach to reviewing products and considers the value they add for the money as well as the materials used for sustainability and overall eco-friendliness.

Jenn Ryan Avatar

Jenn Ryan

Contributing Writer

Since 2015, Jenn Ryan has been a freelance writer with a focus on natural health, eco-friendly products, and wellness. She’s been writing for BobVila.com since 2020 and covers natural alternatives to conventional products, solar solutions, and environmental topics.

WHY YOU CAN TRUST BOB VILA