Latest Discussions : Basement & Foundation


05:38AM | 04/08/03
Member Since: 03/18/03
3 lifetime posts
I have a serious problem with black mold growing in our basement laundry room. This is a finished room, totally underground, without windows, finished with lath and plaster.

The problem seems to be with the water line that comes into the building and travels up the wall. This waterline is almost completely imbedded in the wall but not totally and the black mold grows just where the water line is. (area of about 3" in width by 6')

Our home was built in the early 60's and isn't too well insulated. The basement wall would be of concrete bricks, then metal lathe then plaster and I have no idea if there is a vapour barrier installed. We can not check the condition of the wall from the outside as there is a concrete planter built in front of this particular wall.

I have used a scrub brush and a strong solution of bleach in the past but the mold always returns. I have noticed though that when I put some drywall compound in cracks in the surrounding area, where the compound spread into the line of the mold it seems to have retarded the mold growth.

My husband suggests that we dig out around the water pipe and expose it.

Suggestions would be very much appreciated.




09:08AM | 04/08/03
Member Since: 10/15/02
359 lifetime posts
Water pipe is sweating. If its behind the wall, you will need to expose it and wrap it with insulation to keep it from sweating. That will be the only way to prevent it.


11:51PM | 04/10/03
Member Since: 11/14/00
333 lifetime posts
Your husband is correct and your bleach solution is the best thing to eliminate it when it does arise.

After exposing and insulating the pipe, you can also dehumidify the room with either a dehumidifier unit or dehumidifying chemicals that sit in a bucket and collect excess moisture into a tub that you empty periodically. A fan can also help by circulating air in, through, and out of the room. Mold grows in moist, low-light, unventilated environments, so eliminating those conditions prevents it from growing.


08:36AM | 04/24/03
Member Since: 01/13/03
25 lifetime posts
there are many paints that will inhibit future growth of mold such as "fausters" or "killz". Clean the mold first.

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button