Latest Discussions : Basement & Foundation

northcoastj

06:05PM | 07/22/04
Member Since: 07/21/04
2 lifetime posts
Looking for some feedback on what can be done about a moldy basement. House is from 1900 but put on a new block foundation. House is a HUD home and evidently the electric was turned off when it was foreclosed creating the sump pump to not run -- which at some point started to cause water infiltration in the basement over time...we can see a water mark on studs 3 inches worth. House was closed up for a long time. Basement drywall has lots of mold on it, but studs in unfinsihed areas only show water damage. One joist has some mold on it that i can see (i didn't spend more than 10 mins down there!) What can anyone tell me about mold remediation and if it really works? Thanks for your help!!

andersenmiller

03:23AM | 09/30/16
Member Since: 09/30/16
1 lifetime posts
Andersen
If it's possible open the windows in the basement to ventilate it so fresh air comes in. If you are going to do the job of taking care of the musty smell in the basement, make sure that you wear a face mask before you tackle a cleaning job.

Use a mixture of bleach and water and scrub the walls. The bleach and water combination will get rid of the musty smell and mold. I don't know what can be done with the ceiling. What your aunt's basement needs is a dehumidifier which will remove the dampness.

Maybe others will post some of their ideas.

AndersenMiller
http://www.andersenenviro.com/


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button

Anonymous

Post new button or Login button
Register