The gutter in the front of the house, and one on the side, used to go right into the ground and then either into the basin and sewer, or into the sewer directly, I'm not sure. I'm so clueless and relied on my builders and the village inspections. The downspout on the side of the house was removed entirely when the addition was put on - we have all new gutters and downspouts on the house. The gutters on the rear have 10' exetensions. The only gutter that spills near the house is on the front - next to my front steps. I put one of those roll out drains on it.
The house, when we moved in, had absolutely no water management at all (save for the walk-out drain and a floor drain). As I noted, we had to completely kill the catch basin to put the addition on, and now the existing floor drain and the kitchen and basement plumbing are connected to an ejector pit in the basement and an overhead sewer. When I started to notice seepage through the floor of the upper part of my basement during heavy or prolonged rains, the only option left was an interior drain tile and new sump pit on the upper section of my basement.
That has solved my problem, $7,500 later, but it certainly works. I was just wondering if our construction did something to create the problem, by removing the walk out drain and catch basin, of if the problem existed but was blissfully ignored. I can imagine the basement didn't at least get a little wet before we moved in (the homeowner did say in the disclosures that the basement had flooded once, but it was when the village was re-doing the water mains).
Like I said, I'm very comfortable with the water management of my upper basement now - we had the drain tile installed in March and haven't had a problem since. I'm inclined to just forget I had the problem and just be happy I did the right thing and the waterproofing company did a good job. I was just curious if I created a problem, or purchased one!