Latest Discussions : Basement & Foundation

tamralinville

10:23AM | 09/11/07
Member Since: 09/10/07
1 lifetime posts
I have a dehumidifier that runs in my basement. My house was built in 1855 and the walls are like cinder block. We did fix the leaking problems but it still is musty down there. Is it possible because i stuck insulation all around the ceiling where the wall meets that it holds moisture in? Some of the rafters feel soft. I dont know if there is not enough air moving around. I live in the Buffalo New York area. Should I keep my windows open down there? Any suggestions let me know.

thanks in advance

tammy

KingVolcano

05:58PM | 09/11/07
Member Since: 03/03/05
273 lifetime posts
Musty smell means you have mold issues. Mold will grown when moisture is present. Keeping your windows open will only let more moisture and more mold spores into your basement.

You need to address the moisture issue and address the mold issue on surfaces and in the air.

Removing the moisture is the key.

Consideration:

My company has installs Humidex units in basements with great success. I also have one in my own basement, in the laundry room where it was very humid in the summer.

I wish you were closer so I could inspect your basement, but I am in the Boston area.

Good Luck!

kingvolcano@aol.com


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button

Anonymous

Post new button or Login button
Register