Latest Discussions : Basement & Foundation


07:19PM | 09/27/08
Member Since: 09/26/08
1 lifetime posts
In my basement, there is a white fluffy substance growing in the mortar between bricks of my fireplace that flakes off easily and comes back after bleach is applied. Is this mold, toxic? How to get rid of it? The fireplace has been under water many times.



05:53PM | 10/07/08
Member Since: 03/03/05
271 lifetime posts
Without lab tests I cannot confirm, but I can state from past experience it seems like mold. The last time I came across that type of mold, it was in a cellar that was exposed to sewage and stayed wet for a few days before being pumped out. I remember we took a tape lift sample from the area. The client stated he tried to clean it with bleach but within a few days it grew back. Some molds in mortar can be tricky to kill.

The words toxic and mold together are mainly used as scare tactics. Again, without testing the type of mold cannot be determined. I'd have to look through my files to see which mold it was, but it may not be the same as your mold.

No matter what you should contact a mold specialist in your area. If you have mold growing, you most likely have spores in the air which also should be killed.

Bleach will not kill the root system of the mold, which is evident by your mold growing back.

If you are in the Boston area, I would be more than happy to help, free of charge.


03:37AM | 10/27/08
Member Since: 05/28/08
4 lifetime posts
Mold needs two things to grow: moisture and organic matter.

Although it is virtually impossible to keep your basement free from any organic compound, it is possible to control the other thing that is keeping it alive: humidity.

Mold needs at least 60% (some people say 50%) of relative humidity in the air to be able to grow.

So, if your basement leaks of floods, (You said the fireplace was under water at some point?) waterproof it.

If it is not leaking, you are probably dealing with condensation, or there would be no mold in the area.

The truth is, no matter how many times you clean or kill it. If there is moisture, it will grow back. Or some other species will appear and take over.

I'd suggest you install a good basement dehumidifier. That will help you keep the humidity levels below the 60% that molds need to live.

When you eliminate the moisture, the mold will not die, but will lay dormant and no longer release spores.

You can then proceed to kill colonies if you wish but it will no longer be that huge problem.

King Volcano is correct when he says mold and toxic are words usually put together to scare folks. Not all species of house mold are toxic. However, some people (like one of my kids) are allergic to any kind of mold spores. Even the non-toxic ones.

Truth is, mold is never a good thing to have around.


10:19PM | 04/15/14
It's called efflorescence . Efflorescence is a crystaline deposit on surfaces of masonry, stucco or concrete. It is whitish in appear­ance, and is sometimes referred to as "whiskers". Efflorescence has been a problem for many years, and is a topic of much controversy. The formation of these salt deposits are not mysteries. They are, for the most part, water-soluble salts that come from many possible sources to mar and detract from an other­wise beautiful and serviceable structure


03:06PM | 09/26/16
what do i need to clean the white fluffy mold and preventing it from coming back

Rhino Carbon Fiber

05:40AM | 11/04/16
Member Since: 10/04/16
20 lifetime posts

There is no way to eliminate all mold and mold spores indoors. The key to mold control is controlling indoor moisture:

=> Fix Water Problems (leaks, etc.) – Fix leaks as soon as you find them. Not only does a leaky basement or roof mean immediate structural damage, if not remedied, the waterlogged areas allow mold to thrive. See the project Repair Basement Leaks. Clean and dry any damp or wet building materials within 24 to 48 hours to prevent mold growth. If you don’t, and mold infiltrates them, they will need to be removed to completely fix the mold problem. Many products are available in market for fixing leakage, you may try this :

=> Reduce Indoor Humidity – The more humid your home is, the more likely it will be a haven for mold spores. Reduce humidity by increasing your home’s ventilation to keep the air from becoming warm and stagnant. Vent large appliances, such as washer/dryers, as well as your bathroom and kitchen. Use air conditioners and dehumidifiers.

=> Prevent Condensation – Insulate exterior walls, roofs, windows and pipes to reduce the potential for moisture forming from condensation.

Good Luck!

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button