03:23PM | 12/10/02
Member Since: 12/09/02
2 lifetime posts
I am replacing casement windows on a 1910 mansion. The building has some historic value and the owner does nto wish to change the style of he windows. They have screens which run in steel channels on the inside of window opening. I have two questions.
1. I need operators, there are none now, only retainers, which will allow the windows to be operated from outside the screens a s there is some concern that much operating of the screens will destroy them and they are deemed difficult to replace. While money is not a great problem, it is a consideration as the house is the rectory for a church.
2. I'd also like to find corresponding locks to hold the windows when closed, for heat only as they are on the third floor.

Where is a good source for this hardware. The operators need to go through 3 1/2-4 inch sill.

Thanks for any help


05:05PM | 12/13/02
Member Since: 11/16/02
64 lifetime posts
Greetings Pokeyarw,


They have many products that I have found usefull in the past.

Items like operators cranks and a wide selection of hardware for glazing.

They might have what you need.

Let me know if this helps.

Good luck,


02:37AM | 12/14/02
Member Since: 11/25/02
12 lifetime posts
It sounds like you have old pella casements with retractable screens. This was a steel pan system with wood sash(s). On the inside trim, in front of the steel screen runner, Look to see if the trim is screwed on (not nailed), if so it's screwed to the steel pan.
Just remove the screws, take off the trim and then you'll be able to remove the screen box (Top)and repair as needed.
Hope this helps!


12:03PM | 12/23/02
Member Since: 12/09/02
2 lifetime posts
Hi Jason,

Thanks for the lead. I looked at the page you suggested and it seems they have what I need.

One thing that is not shown on the page is how deep the window sill can be with these operators. I must assume that the sills are either a standard depth or it doesn't make any difference. The handle assembly has to be on the inside of the screen which is 3 1/2" from the inside jam of the window.

Got any good words?

Thanks, ARW


03:25AM | 12/25/02
Member Since: 11/16/02
64 lifetime posts
Greetings and Merry Christmas,

I would contact C. R. Laurence and ask them what they would recomend. I'm sure they have a toll-free number.

If you talk with them directly, you may be able to order just one operator and return it if it's not the right one.

You may want to talk to a local hardware store for advice.

Good luck,

Click to reply button
Inspiration banner


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button

To test the boundaries of small-footprint living, interior designer Jessica Helgerson moved her family to a 540-square-foo... Filling an underutilized area beneath the stairs is a smart way to save space. Doing so with a stash of wood, however, is ... This spacious mudroom just off from the laundry room has plenty of room for tucking towels away and drying off after a dip... Chalkboard paint opens up endless possibilities for customizing your dresser time and time again. Use chalk to label the c... A fireplace in the bathroom creates the ultimate setting for relaxation. Homeowners often choose electric or gas over wood... This roomy boot tray made from punched metal stands up to all the elements. Station it in your mudroom or at your back doo... There’s nothing like a new set of cabinet hardware to refresh a room. The possibilities are endless: Go modern, rustic, or... FLOR tiles are an affordable way to customize a carpeted floor covering for any space. Make anything from runners to wall-... Chalkboard paint features prominently in this elegant yet unpretentious headboard design. Add a new message daily to reflec... Salvaged boards in varying widths and colors make up the dramatic accent wall in this attic space. The high-gloss white of... The indecisive homeowner need not fret over choosing one (or even two) cabinet colors. The kitchen cabinets in this artist... Incorporate nature into your lighting scheme by securing a dead tree in a concrete mold and draping your pendant lamp from... Simple and striking, a couple of pieces of "lovingly used" furniture creates a special kind of charm. A weathered chair fo... First dress up your metal shelves with a coat of paint in an accent color that complements your kitchen decor. Then arrang... Dark wood shelving and a matching upholstered bench keep this closet sleek and refined. The large window brightens the sub...
Follow banner a
Newsletter icon Flipboard glossy Facebook Twitter Pinterest Youtube Rss icon