Latest Discussions : Windows & Doors


10:50AM | 10/12/04
Member Since: 10/11/04
1 lifetime posts
I have a house that was built in 1899. It still has the original wooden windows, and also has old aluminum storm windows that have two glass panes and one screen pane. The problem I am having is that the previous owner lost some of the glass pane during the winter, some of my inside windows are unprotected and allowing a lot a air through... From what I hear, I cannot get replacement aluminum storm window inserts, and I am outta luck until I replace the complete window. Are there any replacement glass pane inserts for these old aluminum storm windows, or am I really out of luck? Anyone who can help, please respond.


11:35AM | 10/12/04
Member Since: 07/01/03
549 lifetime posts
Almost any glazier can easily fabricate aluminum framed panes to replace your missing storm panes. Look in the yellow pages under glass. The frames, gaskets and spring clips are easily fabricated and a sheet of glass inserted. Purchasing storm windows is an alternative. Usually they are mounted with a flange under the outside casing molding. A glazier is not a terribly expensive tradesman, and can advise you on the best alternative, take measurements and install the replacement. Usually no obligation for the estimate.

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button