02:22PM | 06/23/99
I recently purchased a teak nightstand from a clearance outlet for a fairly good price. The reason it is was on sale is because there is a split that runs along one side of the night stand from the top to the bottom. It is not a wide split but it is not small enough to be called a crack. Since, I have very little knowledge of woodworking, can anyone suggest a way for me to repair it. The lady at the store suggested caulking the split and then painting over it, but I am not too sure about how to go about that. Can anyone help me.


07:44AM | 06/24/99
If you're going to paint it and not stain, I'd go to the hardware store and buy a small can of wood filler. Using a putty knife fill the split with the filler, allow to dry according to instructions, sand to a smooth surface, then paint. If you're going to stain the nightstand, I'd go with a fairly dark stain and do nothing to the split it should blend in with the dark stain and shadows. Good luck!


04:52AM | 07/06/99
Minwax sells tinted wood filler that coordinates with their stain lines. You might find one that matches. They also make stain "markers" that you could use in the crack to blend the split.

Either of these would avoid redoing the entire piece, so I'd probably give this a shot first. Then if you're not satisfied, you can tackle the entire nightstand.

Click to reply button
Inspiration banner


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button

To test the boundaries of small-footprint living, interior designer Jessica Helgerson moved her family to a 540-square-foo... Filling an underutilized area beneath the stairs is a smart way to save space. Doing so with a stash of wood, however, is ... The Audubon Society inspired wallpaper in this Adirondack-styled mudroom will get you in the outdoor mood. Grab your coat ... Chalkboard paint opens up endless possibilities for customizing your dresser time and time again. Use chalk to label the c... A fireplace in the bathroom creates the ultimate setting for relaxation. Homeowners often choose electric or gas over wood... This roomy boot tray made from punched metal stands up to all the elements. Station it in your mudroom or at your back doo... There’s nothing like a new set of cabinet hardware to refresh a room. The possibilities are endless: Go modern, rustic, or... FLOR tiles are an affordable way to customize a carpeted floor covering for any space. Make anything from runners to wall-... Chalkboard paint features prominently in this elegant yet unpretentious headboard design. Add a new message daily to reflec... Salvaged boards in varying widths and colors make up the dramatic accent wall in this attic space. The high-gloss white of... The indecisive homeowner need not fret over choosing one (or even two) cabinet colors. The kitchen cabinets in this artist... Incorporate nature into your lighting scheme by securing a dead tree in a concrete mold and draping your pendant lamp from... Simple and striking, a couple of pieces of "lovingly used" furniture creates a special kind of charm. A weathered chair fo... First dress up your metal shelves with a coat of paint in an accent color that complements your kitchen decor. Then arrang... Dark wood shelving and a matching upholstered bench keep this closet sleek and refined. The large window brightens the sub...
Follow banner a
Newsletter icon Flipboard glossy Facebook Twitter Pinterest Youtube Rss icon