I really need advise. I have submitted my forms to have my pipes replumbed in the national class action suit.This week a man came and photographed the pipes, which do qualify me for the replumb as far as I know. He gave me papers to sign and I have questions about some of the issues. I have owned my townhouse for 11 years and have made many mistakes in hiring repairmen and have been taken advantage of mainly because of my lack of knowledge and experience in repair work. I didn't ask the right questions and I have no experience to fall back on to help me be a smart consumer. Here are some of the issues I would like some help on:
1) The forms say I have to use a particular company out of Atlanta. How do I know this organization is any good? I know to make sure they, and the subcontractor's, have Contractor's Licenses but do I have the right to add this wording myself into the contract? (Like "All work must be done by licensed contractor's and sub-contractor's.")
2) Do they have to post a work permit and then have the county come and inspect each project as it is completed - like the pipes or the tiles or the pans under the showers? I have had work done and I have never had this type of inspection. I saw this on a news show and I wonder if this is how it is supposed to be done.
3) I have to choose between SDR 11 CPVC (Chlorinated Polyvinyl Chloride)or Type M Copper (Resisential Grade.) How do you know which to choose or is it obviously the copper ones?
4) Let's say the project is going along and suddenly they say so and so needs to be done but it isn't covered by this settlement and you need to pay for it yourself. How do I react - how do I know if this is fair or true?
5) Where can I go to see if the papers I'm asked to sign are fair and just normal agreement for work?
6) Is there something I should be looking out for or something I should be asking?
As you can tell, I have been a pretty easy ****** in the past and I want to do this one right but I still don't know how. Thanks so much for advise and help.
Get Help from Bob Vila
- Give-Aways & Offers
- Monthly Must Do's
- DIY Project Ideas
- Step-by-Step Guides
- Inspirational Photo Galleries