Latest Discussions : HVAC


12:48PM | 05/24/03
Member Since: 05/23/03
2 lifetime posts
Hello -- I want to build a deck off the back of my house, but the existing PVC furnace vent is messing up my planned design. Is it OK for me to cut the vent where it exits the house, splice in another 6" or so of length, and then reattach the vent pipe? This way I can bring the vent up through a corner of my new deck. I'm not sure whether there is a standard building code that addresses such things. Please help! Thanks, Sue

plumber Tom

03:29PM | 05/24/03
Member Since: 05/10/03
801 lifetime posts
Sure you can. Offset it with two-45's. You are going to see the pipe anyway, so a few modifications should not get in the way of your new plans. As far as the height is concerned, YES check local codes to determine the height. Even though the pressure switch would shut-off the gas valve in the event of a blockage, due to snow, birds nest, etc. You can also check the manufactures' suggested height requirement, but local codes take precedence.


11:41AM | 05/25/03
Member Since: 05/23/03
2 lifetime posts
Hi Tom --

Thanks for the tip! I will pick up a couple of 45's and give it a try. This sure is an easier solution than trying to build the deck around the vent. :-) -Sue

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button