Latest Discussions : Electrical & Lighting


04:27AM | 10/01/02
Member Since: 04/08/01
14 lifetime posts
I need to install a new 15 amp circuit breaker in my box. This breaker controls several outlets and a dishwasher in the kitchen. Looking at breakers I see that there are single, double and tamden pole breakers. What's the difference ??

Electrical Inspector

01:14PM | 10/01/02
Member Since: 09/27/02
73 lifetime posts
'singles' do a single branch circuit, 'doubles' usually do something 240V , or 240/120v combination, a stove, dryer, hot h20, etc...

tandems are usually installed when a circuit needs to be added, and there is no room.

they are often called 'cheaters'...however they are not allowed in many panels that they appear in.

harold endean

03:05PM | 10/01/02
Member Since: 08/30/02
23 lifetime posts
You have to read the instructions that is on the electrical panel to make sure that the tandom breakers are allowed. It is usually listed inside the panel.

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button