I just bought a condo in an older high rise apartment/condo conversion, built in late 1950's. This condo has a fuse box in the kitchen containing a few 15 & 20 amp fuses. As well, all of the wall outlets throughout the unit have the older receptacles with just the 2 prongs, not the 3, nor are there any receptacles with the GFCI. I have several questions about changing this. I would greatly appreciate any insight into this. Unfortunately I know very little about electrical work.
1. Can I change out the fuse box with a circuit breaker?
2. If so, does this require any sort of rewiring of the wiring within the walls extending to all of the outlets?
3. Can I simply change all of the 2 prong outlets to the more updated 3 prong (grounded?) outlets?
4. Would this require any sort of rewiring of the electrical work?
5. In the bathroom I need to install the GFCI receptacle (change from old 2 prong) is it is simple as removing the old and adding the new?
Would this be a huge project and am I overlooking anything I should consider?
Get Help from Bob Vila
- Give-Aways & Offers
- Monthly Must Do's
- DIY Project Ideas
- Step-by-Step Guides
- Inspirational Photo Galleries