Latest Discussions : Electrical & Lighting

mgroft

04:35PM | 06/17/04
Member Since: 06/16/04
1 lifetime posts
We just bought an old cabin and have been using on weekends for 3 months. Just noticed last night that when I turned on the outside spigot that I received a electric shock to the point where I was not able to turn the spigot off. What should I look for?

Thanks,

Mike

tomh

04:50PM | 06/17/04
Member Since: 07/01/03
549 lifetime posts
There have been serious injuries resulting from electric shock when a ground fault condition occurs and the electric service is grounded to the water pipes. Most likely you will see a clamp holding a ground wire to the water pipes near your service entry. The ground-fault or short circuit could be anywhere in the house.

This is a very hazardous condition, and you should get an electician to help you find it. Be aware that if the outside spigot is charged, any pipe in the house could be conducting electricity. This condition should have tripped a breaker or fuse.

You can narrow it down by using a circuit tester to determine if there is current in the pipes going to ground. You can then shut off each circuit in sequence at the panel until you find the one that is feeding the current to ground. You then trace that circuit and find the problem.


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button

Anonymous

Post new button or Login button
Register