Latest Discussions : Electrical & Lighting


07:33AM | 10/03/05
Member Since: 10/02/05
26 lifetime posts
Hello All,

I am upgrading from a 100 amp to a 200 amp service. I intend to have the service entrance outside my house in a SquareD all in one combo box that comes with a main breaker. This wiil feed a 200 amp subpanel.

I have been instructed by the local building inspector that I will need a second breaker in my main service panel that will feed the subpanel. My question to all electricians out there is - Why do I need a second breaker in the service panel? Doesn't the main breaker serve the same purpose?

I was hoping that someone may have a solution for me that doesn't include the second breaker. Those breakers are expensive.



10:03AM | 10/03/05
Member Since: 03/31/05
265 lifetime posts
If the combo panel is a feed-thru model (and most are), i.e., it has lugs at the bottom of the bus bars on the load side of the main, it would not need an additional breaker. If it does not, then you would need the separate breaker.

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button