Latest Discussions : Painting


01:40PM | 04/11/00
Member Since: 04/10/00
1 lifetime posts
I have beautiful detailed plaster walls in my 70yr old colonial. The plaster within molded frames on the walls is a fresco finish that appears to be rolled or stamped in. I haven't had any luck in trying repair cracks in the wall. Anything I try just pulls the wet plaster/compound out into sharp points rather than leave that cratered texture with a smooth overall finish. Any ideas?


12:57PM | 04/22/00
Member Since: 10/05/98
4 lifetime posts
It sounds to me like you may be referring to a textured wall rather then a "frescoed" wall.

Fresco is a method of painting into wet plaster. You have described a texture.

When texturing a wall that has been done by someone else it is very difficult.

The hard part is that you have to first find the appropriate tools that would reproduce the texture.

Experimentation is the order of the day when trying to match someone else's work.

If you are only patching cracks it shouldn't be too much of a thing. Wet the cracks with either water or PVA adhesive and apply new plaster. You can feather the cracks with an appropriate tool to finish it up. What kind of tool? Who knows! It all depends on the texture you need to reproduce...

Brian Ewing

[This message has been edited by Brew (edited April 22, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Brew (edited April 25, 2000).]

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button