The paint in my bathrooms, both the master and spare, is bleeding and oozing. The ooze is brownish in color and appears to begin as a film on the gloss paint then drip down the wall. This occurs typically after a shower when the hot steam has collected. The paint is gloss white (or some form of off-white shade). Since we recently bought the house, which was built around 1937, I do not know the last time it was painted. I have not yet installed an exhaust fan so the heat dissipates slowly into the bedroom and out the window for the time being. Does anyone know what could be causing this and whether a good coat of a quality primer (Kilnz primer and sealer for example) will prevent this from bleeding through a new coat of paint? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi JamesPatrick, Although there could be something else going on here,it sounds exactly like nicotine running down the wall.I see this frequently where I work and the problem can persist until properly addressed as cigarette,cigar,pipe smoke bleeds through paint.Obviously,if anyone in the house is smoking now,you need to clean the walls regularly or have good venting for the steam. At any rate,a stain kill paint will cover the nicotine (or other problem) and another coat of paint should put an end to it.You might try wiping other areas in the house with a white paper towel and a little water and ammonia to see if you get the same residue.
Thanks, Matches. That does make sense and this weekend I'll try cleaning it and applying a coat of Kilnz primer and sealer to see how that works. I'll check with the owner's son and find out if either of his parents smoked. If so, that's a lot of nicotene because they owned it since it was built in 1937! Since you mentioned nicotene, I nolw recall finding an old ashtray in the basement when we moved in a few months ago.
I'll let you know if that works.
JamesPatrick P.S. I will eventually install exhaust fans but that will not happen until later this winter.
JamesPatrick, I have found that the brand of stain killer that cleans up with ammonia and water is easier to deal with than the one requiring mineral spirits.Read the directions for brush cleaning before purchasing...they both work equally well but I have a problem with the possibility of spontaneous combustion if left about carelessly.Good Luck!
I think what you have is surfactant leaching and comes from a high level of moisture getting on the paint before it cures. Surfactants are in all latex paints and they make it so you can brush and roll them smoothly and they normally evaporate away as they paint dries unless high moisture interfears with that. You will need to wash the wall down to remove it and apply and oil based primer and it does not have to be one of the fast drying ones unless you are in a hurrry and do not use the shellac based one ( it cleans up with alcohol) as they do not do well in high moisture areas. The wash should be a bleach, water and detergent mix to remove any mildew that may be present. The finish paint can be anything from an eggshell finish up to a semi gloss to take the moisture and get one that is made for baths as they have a mildecide built in. When you paint the bath do not use it for a few days or more to allow the paint to cure some so you will not have this problem again. Oh do not do any of this before you install an exhaust fan.