06:47AM | 07/20/04
Member Since: 07/19/04
2 lifetime posts

I just purchased a house which was built in the 1880s. Most of the walls are of horsehair plaster (and clovered with wall paper) and though most are in good shape, some are in need of repair. There are several places, for example where the plaster is bulging from the wall and there are several more places where there are some unsightly holes that need filling. A friend of mine suggested that it would be better to cover the walls with 1/4 wall board but I am wondering if that is really necessary. Any suggestion on how to repair these "ancient" wall without costing me an arm and a leg?

Finally, any advice on removing the wall paper?



10:40AM | 08/20/04
Member Since: 08/19/04
1 lifetime posts
I've just purchased an old New Englander built in 1910, and amongst other issues (namely electrical and heating) this house has plaster problems. There is wallpaper aplenty, and bulging/cracking plaster walls that need repair. Any advice would be most useful.


11:23AM | 11/23/04
Member Since: 11/13/04
2 lifetime posts
I have just purchased a 150 year old home. I have some areas that need repair also, such as holes in a sitting room walls where the previous owners put a clothes closet. And the foyer which just has cracks. anyone know how to repair?


09:56AM | 11/26/04
Member Since: 07/19/04
2 lifetime posts
Well ... with the advice of a friend who use to do drywalling, I removed the lose plaster and filled the small areas with drywall joint compound and the big areas with drywall cut to size. Afterward I skimmed all of the walls with the joint compound. It took a while(since I had never done such a thing before) but it turned out really nice.

I would like to learn what you all did to solve your problem. Learning news ways is always a good thing.
Click to reply button
Inspiration banner


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button

To test the boundaries of small-footprint living, interior designer Jessica Helgerson moved her family to a 540-square-foo... Filling an underutilized area beneath the stairs is a smart way to save space. Doing so with a stash of wood, however, is ... The Audubon Society inspired wallpaper in this Adirondack-styled mudroom will get you in the outdoor mood. Grab your coat ... Chalkboard paint opens up endless possibilities for customizing your dresser time and time again. Use chalk to label the c... A fireplace in the bathroom creates the ultimate setting for relaxation. Homeowners often choose electric or gas over wood... This roomy boot tray made from punched metal stands up to all the elements. Station it in your mudroom or at your back doo... There’s nothing like a new set of cabinet hardware to refresh a room. The possibilities are endless: Go modern, rustic, or... FLOR tiles are an affordable way to customize a carpeted floor covering for any space. Make anything from runners to wall-... Chalkboard paint features prominently in this elegant yet unpretentious headboard design. Add a new message daily to reflec... Salvaged boards in varying widths and colors make up the dramatic accent wall in this attic space. The high-gloss white of... The indecisive homeowner need not fret over choosing one (or even two) cabinet colors. The kitchen cabinets in this artist... Incorporate nature into your lighting scheme by securing a dead tree in a concrete mold and draping your pendant lamp from... Simple and striking, a couple of pieces of "lovingly used" furniture creates a special kind of charm. A weathered chair fo... First dress up your metal shelves with a coat of paint in an accent color that complements your kitchen decor. Then arrang... Dark wood shelving and a matching upholstered bench keep this closet sleek and refined. The large window brightens the sub...
Follow banner a
Newsletter icon Flipboard glossy Facebook Twitter Pinterest Youtube Rss icon