Latest Discussions : Painting


11:55AM | 06/24/09
Member Since: 06/23/09
1 lifetime posts
Moved into a home that the dining room walls were plastered in a rough manner and fauxed, to look 'old world'. In desperate need of knowing if there is a product that will take off the plaster to the wall board,-as sanding will make a terrific mess.

David, Moderator

06:45PM | 12/29/13
Member Since: 11/15/13
264 lifetime posts
It would be extremely difficult to remove this especially if it is a finish coat of plaster.
Here are 2 options to consider
1) Use a drywall blade to remove any high spots or plaster peeks.
Cover existing wall with 1/4" drywall, apply drywall tape to the seams and finish with drywall compound.

2)skim coat the entire wall:
Again, use a drywall blade to remove high spots or peaks. This will probably require 2 coats. For the 1st coat use Durabond drywall compound, it's a powder mix and is available in 20, 45, and 90 minute set times. If you have never used this before, I recommend the 90 min.
This works well for the 1st coat because it dries harder, won't shrink and it dries quicker but it is difficult to sand.
Mix a batch in a drywall pan ( make a little soupy)Apply it to the wall filling in the low areas.
For the 2nd coat, use a pre-mixed drywall compound. Preferably an easy sand type. After this dries, sand, primer and paint.
Take your time, as you apply the compound, tilt your blade at about a 45degree angle. By the time you are finished, you will be a pro
Good luck
Below is a link to a Bob Vila article on tools and finishing.

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button