lowering basement floor?
I have a 1908 house in Minnesota with a ridiculously bumpy concrete slab in the basement. Some bumps are probably about 3 inches higher than other sections of the floor. The concrete is about 1-2 inches thick, has broken away and exposed dirt in some and some patches apparently were poured at different times. Very scary.
I’d like to rip out the existing surface, lower the 29X29-foot floor by excavation (doing the work myself, if possible), level it all off and pour a new, smooth concrete surface. In short, I’d like turn this dungeon into a finished space with 6-12 inches more head room.
Can I do this without causing any structural problems? Will lowering the floor pose risks to the existing walls or chimney?
Thanks for any advice.
Have you figured out how you're going to remove the concrete and soil out of the basement? Where are you going to dispose of the stuff?
When you install the new floor, make sure to install a water barrier, 3" or more of compacted gravel then 3" or more concrete.
As for disposal, I was thinking of renting a dumpster.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Junk Mail
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps