lowering basement floor?
I have a 1908 house in Minnesota with a ridiculously bumpy concrete slab in the basement. Some bumps are probably about 3 inches higher than other sections of the floor. The concrete is about 1-2 inches thick, has broken away and exposed dirt in some and some patches apparently were poured at different times. Very scary.
I’d like to rip out the existing surface, lower the 29X29-foot floor by excavation (doing the work myself, if possible), level it all off and pour a new, smooth concrete surface. In short, I’d like turn this dungeon into a finished space with 6-12 inches more head room.
Can I do this without causing any structural problems? Will lowering the floor pose risks to the existing walls or chimney?
Thanks for any advice.
Have you figured out how you're going to remove the concrete and soil out of the basement? Where are you going to dispose of the stuff?
When you install the new floor, make sure to install a water barrier, 3" or more of compacted gravel then 3" or more concrete.
As for disposal, I was thinking of renting a dumpster.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY