Hi, a friend of mine wants me to fix some wood molded windows on the corners of the frame, specially the ones on the washroom. At first I thought it should be so easy just to sand away the bumps caused by the mold apply some plaster and paint but, I'm wondering if this would be a long fixing since, I think, mold will come up again soon. I should say that a suggested him to replace the windows for maybe composite PVC frames but he doesn't want spend much because is selling de house. Does anyone here know what should I use to kill the fungus? someone recommended me to spray bleach on it. Does any of you had that experience with windows or doors?
Paint them with Kilz mildew-resistant paint. The washroom is likely getting mildew b/c of the humidity causing condensation on the window pane.
Unfortunately once mold gets into wood etc. it cannot be removed so you will have to take it out or encapsulate it with a product like KILZ. I would suggest using a disinfectant spray like Sporicidin, a wire brush and a HEPA vacuum first before encapsulating it. This way you will help ensure that the mold is actually gone before painting it. Good Luck.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 10 Secret Rooms & Passages in Ordinary Homes
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers