Hi, a friend of mine wants me to fix some wood molded windows on the corners of the frame, specially the ones on the washroom. At first I thought it should be so easy just to sand away the bumps caused by the mold apply some plaster and paint but, I'm wondering if this would be a long fixing since, I think, mold will come up again soon. I should say that a suggested him to replace the windows for maybe composite PVC frames but he doesn't want spend much because is selling de house. Does anyone here know what should I use to kill the fungus? someone recommended me to spray bleach on it. Does any of you had that experience with windows or doors?
Paint them with Kilz mildew-resistant paint. The washroom is likely getting mildew b/c of the humidity causing condensation on the window pane.
Unfortunately once mold gets into wood etc. it cannot be removed so you will have to take it out or encapsulate it with a product like KILZ. I would suggest using a disinfectant spray like Sporicidin, a wire brush and a HEPA vacuum first before encapsulating it. This way you will help ensure that the mold is actually gone before painting it. Good Luck.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!