The total cost of his deck, I believe, was about $1100. This is for everything, including the power auger to dig the holes, the cement for the footings, the cement for the landing at the bottom of the stairs, and for the rock underneath the deck to prevent weeds. Also, my father-in-law wanted horizontal railing instead of the more modern vertical ballusters. Also, the ledger was installed about 1 year prior to the installation of his deck. My father-in-law also decided he wanted his deck sturdy, so he wanted his joists set at 12" on center using 2x10 treated lumber instead of the more common 16" or 24" on center with 2x8s.
There are many things to consider when trying to estimate the cost of a deck. I believe that about $1500 should be sufficient. The cost I came up with was at a home improvement store in Minnesota.
If I could offer some advice, if you are considering building a 15x15 deck, it might be a better idea to replan for a 16x15 deck since most lumber comes in 16 foot peices. That will both save you time since you will not have to cut each board down to size and it will add 15 square feet to your deck without taking up too much more yard space.
Most home improvement stores will have a section where you can pick out deck plans. These plans will give you a list of lumber and the cost.
I hope this will help you!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 7 Ways to Make Your New House Look Old
- 11 DIYs for A Soundproofed Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates