I'm in the process of looking to buy a home. I like one - but - It has no sump pump in the basement. Is having no sump pump common? This is the first house that I have seen without one. Is it expensive to put one in? Where would I look to see if my area requires one? I live in Michigan? Thank you!!!!
I don't know about your area, but around my area, a sump pump in the basement is more the exception than the rule. They're only installed if there's a reason. If there's no problem with water in the basement, then a sump pump is usually not necessary. As for installation after the fact, it can be done, and depending on local conditions, it shouldn't be that big a challenge.
If the house isn't a brand new house then it must have done just fine the last few years. Treebeard doesn't say where he lives. I would assume the dryer locations don't use sump pumps because they welcome the water into their house. Free water is good water. A sump pump is used more to pump the water from around your house not from inside your house. If the ground outside your house is sloped away at a good pitch then you probably don't need that sump pump. If it is flat ground I don't see why you would not have one. If you put a sump pump in you would probably want to put the drain tile outside to drain that water away. If you put a sump pump in and don't tie it to anything you might as well just buy a pump and use it in emergencies only.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!