Subfloor or not?
Most floor manufacturers will not warrant any type floor installed below grade...so it matters not what type of wood floor you install in a basement....It will be void of warranty...so don't do it.
Floating the floor on the concrete will make it hard like concrete: uncomfortable and unforgiving. However, it will run fewer risks of rotting out, breaking, slumping, or what have you. On the other hand, building a subfloor makes the room more comfortable, subtly absorbing sound, vibration and footsteps. However, that comfort also comes with the price of adding installation costs and the potential of slumping, rotting, and the like, especially if it floods.
That said, I would install a subfloor if you plan to use the room at all.
[This message has been edited by TchrMommy (edited December 13, 2003).]
ceilings to strap or not to strap
To settle or not to settle... that is the question..
BSMT CEDAR PLANKS SEALED OR NOT
Attic fan or not
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs