Can you tell me what this is?
This is what we know:
Looking to tap the collective brain power. I was challenged to identify the object in the pic. The only clues that I have is it came out of an upper end home built about 1900. The person teasing me with this said there would be one of these in nearly every room of the home, but it would not be visible. It is made out of a single piece of round solid steel bar stock bent into an equal lateral hex. It has a very ruff weld at the connection. The diameter of the steel is slightly smaller than a bic pin. It is approximately 2 inches across the hex from flat side to flat side. What is it?
We asked about several pull ring ideas. The answer was the ring was not visible in the room. Implication, it was in the wall, floor/crawlspace, or ceiling. The ring is substantial enough to be a link in a very heavy chain. I have never seen a chain with a link of this shape. That leads me to believe it is part of something structural, but he would not answer that question. For another note, the engineer that was teasing us said he had a historian come look at the device when they found it. The historian was so intrigued he was going to write an article on the device. Any ideas?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects