Can you tell me what this is?
This is what we know:
Looking to tap the collective brain power. I was challenged to identify the object in the pic. The only clues that I have is it came out of an upper end home built about 1900. The person teasing me with this said there would be one of these in nearly every room of the home, but it would not be visible. It is made out of a single piece of round solid steel bar stock bent into an equal lateral hex. It has a very ruff weld at the connection. The diameter of the steel is slightly smaller than a bic pin. It is approximately 2 inches across the hex from flat side to flat side. What is it?
We asked about several pull ring ideas. The answer was the ring was not visible in the room. Implication, it was in the wall, floor/crawlspace, or ceiling. The ring is substantial enough to be a link in a very heavy chain. I have never seen a chain with a link of this shape. That leads me to believe it is part of something structural, but he would not answer that question. For another note, the engineer that was teasing us said he had a historian come look at the device when they found it. The historian was so intrigued he was going to write an article on the device. Any ideas?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love