Can you tell me what this is?
This is what we know:
Looking to tap the collective brain power. I was challenged to identify the object in the pic. The only clues that I have is it came out of an upper end home built about 1900. The person teasing me with this said there would be one of these in nearly every room of the home, but it would not be visible. It is made out of a single piece of round solid steel bar stock bent into an equal lateral hex. It has a very ruff weld at the connection. The diameter of the steel is slightly smaller than a bic pin. It is approximately 2 inches across the hex from flat side to flat side. What is it?
We asked about several pull ring ideas. The answer was the ring was not visible in the room. Implication, it was in the wall, floor/crawlspace, or ceiling. The ring is substantial enough to be a link in a very heavy chain. I have never seen a chain with a link of this shape. That leads me to believe it is part of something structural, but he would not answer that question. For another note, the engineer that was teasing us said he had a historian come look at the device when they found it. The historian was so intrigued he was going to write an article on the device. Any ideas?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight