Can you tell me what this is?
This is what we know:
Looking to tap the collective brain power. I was challenged to identify the object in the pic. The only clues that I have is it came out of an upper end home built about 1900. The person teasing me with this said there would be one of these in nearly every room of the home, but it would not be visible. It is made out of a single piece of round solid steel bar stock bent into an equal lateral hex. It has a very ruff weld at the connection. The diameter of the steel is slightly smaller than a bic pin. It is approximately 2 inches across the hex from flat side to flat side. What is it?
We asked about several pull ring ideas. The answer was the ring was not visible in the room. Implication, it was in the wall, floor/crawlspace, or ceiling. The ring is substantial enough to be a link in a very heavy chain. I have never seen a chain with a link of this shape. That leads me to believe it is part of something structural, but he would not answer that question. For another note, the engineer that was teasing us said he had a historian come look at the device when they found it. The historian was so intrigued he was going to write an article on the device. Any ideas?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!