Can you tell me what this is?
This is what we know:
Looking to tap the collective brain power. I was challenged to identify the object in the pic. The only clues that I have is it came out of an upper end home built about 1900. The person teasing me with this said there would be one of these in nearly every room of the home, but it would not be visible. It is made out of a single piece of round solid steel bar stock bent into an equal lateral hex. It has a very ruff weld at the connection. The diameter of the steel is slightly smaller than a bic pin. It is approximately 2 inches across the hex from flat side to flat side. What is it?
We asked about several pull ring ideas. The answer was the ring was not visible in the room. Implication, it was in the wall, floor/crawlspace, or ceiling. The ring is substantial enough to be a link in a very heavy chain. I have never seen a chain with a link of this shape. That leads me to believe it is part of something structural, but he would not answer that question. For another note, the engineer that was teasing us said he had a historian come look at the device when they found it. The historian was so intrigued he was going to write an article on the device. Any ideas?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers