I am looking to remodel the basement. One support pole is right in the middle of where we would like to put a large room. The pole is 6 feet from the outside wall and 7 feet from the next pole. I have been told that I can use 14 foot lengths of Laminated Veneer Lumber bolted to each side of the main beam. This will allow me to remove the post. I need more info on this along with the thickness of the LVL and how many LVL's on each side? Is this workable and safe? Do not want the top two floors in the basement.
My advice is to find a qualified architect, engineer, or builder to advise you on the removal or relocation of any structural column. Columns in basements can be carrying a tremendous amount of weight. There is no simple "over-the-web" answer to removal of a structural component. Anyone advising you otherwise is not as wise as they may appear and you are taking a high risk with your life and property. Whoever you engage should actually see the situation to be able to offer credible advise.
which way is up for floor joist
material for house framing
Wood shelving options
Long length, paintable veneer for 2 x 10 roof facia?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes