I am looking to remodel the basement. One support pole is right in the middle of where we would like to put a large room. The pole is 6 feet from the outside wall and 7 feet from the next pole. I have been told that I can use 14 foot lengths of Laminated Veneer Lumber bolted to each side of the main beam. This will allow me to remove the post. I need more info on this along with the thickness of the LVL and how many LVL's on each side? Is this workable and safe? Do not want the top two floors in the basement.
My advice is to find a qualified architect, engineer, or builder to advise you on the removal or relocation of any structural column. Columns in basements can be carrying a tremendous amount of weight. There is no simple "over-the-web" answer to removal of a structural component. Anyone advising you otherwise is not as wise as they may appear and you are taking a high risk with your life and property. Whoever you engage should actually see the situation to be able to offer credible advise.
which way is up for floor joist
material for house framing
Wood shelving options
Long length, paintable veneer for 2 x 10 roof facia?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!