Basement Waterproofing,Foundation Failure......
"gravity,soil swelling,soil collapse,frost heaving,hydrostatic pressure etc...can cause serious harm to footers and foundations"
"many soils absorb vast quantities of water and this added water,combined with the soil,pushes against your foundation wall.This force is commonly referred to as Hydrostatic Pressure"
And so, what does NOT absorb vast quantities of water? What applies the LEAST lateral pressure against basement walls?
.....read 6th para....
"we firmly believe a foundation should be backfilled with washed gravel(NOT dirt) from the basement floor level all the way UP to within 2-3" of the finished grade outside..."......."this is especially important, if not Critical, with soils having high clay content.Secondly this type of DRAINAGE Prevents trapped water and saturated soil next to foundation from building up horizontal hydrostatic pressure AGAINST the Wall. This PRESSURE will crack walls, cause Leaks, and in a worst case collapse the wall inward"
"coarse grained,well drained soils like sand and gravel apply the LEAST lateral load"
"Many, many consumers THINK they have waterproofed basements, when in fact they simply have been damproofed"...."use plenty of (three feet minimum)washed gravel over drain tile"
"thousands of homeowners THINK they have a waterproofed foundation when in fact they do NOT"
"there is a Significant Difference between damproofing and Waterproofing"
Jury awards women $585,000
Exterior waterproofing with stone foundation and gra...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Junk Mail
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps