Basement Waterproofing,Foundation Failure......
"gravity,soil swelling,soil collapse,frost heaving,hydrostatic pressure etc...can cause serious harm to footers and foundations"
"many soils absorb vast quantities of water and this added water,combined with the soil,pushes against your foundation wall.This force is commonly referred to as Hydrostatic Pressure"
And so, what does NOT absorb vast quantities of water? What applies the LEAST lateral pressure against basement walls?
.....read 6th para....
"we firmly believe a foundation should be backfilled with washed gravel(NOT dirt) from the basement floor level all the way UP to within 2-3" of the finished grade outside..."......."this is especially important, if not Critical, with soils having high clay content.Secondly this type of DRAINAGE Prevents trapped water and saturated soil next to foundation from building up horizontal hydrostatic pressure AGAINST the Wall. This PRESSURE will crack walls, cause Leaks, and in a worst case collapse the wall inward"
"coarse grained,well drained soils like sand and gravel apply the LEAST lateral load"
"Many, many consumers THINK they have waterproofed basements, when in fact they simply have been damproofed"...."use plenty of (three feet minimum)washed gravel over drain tile"
"thousands of homeowners THINK they have a waterproofed foundation when in fact they do NOT"
"there is a Significant Difference between damproofing and Waterproofing"
Jury awards women $585,000
Exterior waterproofing with stone foundation and gra...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs