Basement Waterproofing,Foundation Failure......
"gravity,soil swelling,soil collapse,frost heaving,hydrostatic pressure etc...can cause serious harm to footers and foundations"
"many soils absorb vast quantities of water and this added water,combined with the soil,pushes against your foundation wall.This force is commonly referred to as Hydrostatic Pressure"
And so, what does NOT absorb vast quantities of water? What applies the LEAST lateral pressure against basement walls?
.....read 6th para....
"we firmly believe a foundation should be backfilled with washed gravel(NOT dirt) from the basement floor level all the way UP to within 2-3" of the finished grade outside..."......."this is especially important, if not Critical, with soils having high clay content.Secondly this type of DRAINAGE Prevents trapped water and saturated soil next to foundation from building up horizontal hydrostatic pressure AGAINST the Wall. This PRESSURE will crack walls, cause Leaks, and in a worst case collapse the wall inward"
"coarse grained,well drained soils like sand and gravel apply the LEAST lateral load"
"Many, many consumers THINK they have waterproofed basements, when in fact they simply have been damproofed"...."use plenty of (three feet minimum)washed gravel over drain tile"
"thousands of homeowners THINK they have a waterproofed foundation when in fact they do NOT"
"there is a Significant Difference between damproofing and Waterproofing"
Jury awards women $585,000
Exterior waterproofing with stone foundation and gra...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects