Basement Waterproofing,Foundation Failure......
"gravity,soil swelling,soil collapse,frost heaving,hydrostatic pressure etc...can cause serious harm to footers and foundations"
"many soils absorb vast quantities of water and this added water,combined with the soil,pushes against your foundation wall.This force is commonly referred to as Hydrostatic Pressure"
And so, what does NOT absorb vast quantities of water? What applies the LEAST lateral pressure against basement walls?
.....read 6th para....
"we firmly believe a foundation should be backfilled with washed gravel(NOT dirt) from the basement floor level all the way UP to within 2-3" of the finished grade outside..."......."this is especially important, if not Critical, with soils having high clay content.Secondly this type of DRAINAGE Prevents trapped water and saturated soil next to foundation from building up horizontal hydrostatic pressure AGAINST the Wall. This PRESSURE will crack walls, cause Leaks, and in a worst case collapse the wall inward"
"coarse grained,well drained soils like sand and gravel apply the LEAST lateral load"
"Many, many consumers THINK they have waterproofed basements, when in fact they simply have been damproofed"...."use plenty of (three feet minimum)washed gravel over drain tile"
"thousands of homeowners THINK they have a waterproofed foundation when in fact they do NOT"
"there is a Significant Difference between damproofing and Waterproofing"
Jury awards women $585,000
Exterior waterproofing with stone foundation and gra...
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight