I've just started to notice/smell mildew on our partially finished basement cinder block walls. What's the best way to clean and prevent this? Thanks in advance for the advice.
...if there is any plastic up against basement wall(s) it can cause condensation which can then cause mold/mildew, just so you know.
Cinder block walls can get water/moisture INTO the hollow-block from cracks,crevices etc on the....Outside of the wall. Many--not all of these cracks/crevices/gaps are NOT VISIBLE from the Inside, you won`t see them.
So if your not getting water on floor it`s 'possible' enough MOISTURE could be entering the hollow block walls from Outside openings and they can be openings below ground,cracks etc or, ABOVE ground openings like having stucco,like openings in mortar joints, or having cheap-porous bricks. Openings around windows `n doors etc. Any of these could/can cause mold,mildew,efflorescence,paint peeling,discoloration of basement walls.
AND-OR, high humidity in basement
here are some links...
....6th, 7th para`s in Yoder link
Why do Basements flood? click diagram on cmhc link
Question for LWP, Cellarman, Basement Waterproofer a...
This is where/why MOST basements leak-seep
Help - cutting a hole....
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!