Insulating a concrete ceiling / flat roof
The obvious first choice is does the insulation go on top of the existing roof or under the current ceiling.
The current roof is asphalt BUR construction. One roofing contractor suggested adding 2" of hard foam insulation on top of the existing roof and then covering it with a new asphalt BUR.
The second option is to add insulation inside. Since the ceiling is nearly 10' high, this is realistic.
What has been suggested is to glue up the same 2" foam board, and then have plaster put directly on the ceiling. Will this really stick?? Do I need to use some sort of lathing? Do I need a special type of foam board so that the plaster will stick?
Please check the post below on insulation, and my reply to your post at the fixitforem.
Reflective coatings are being used extensively in Israel.
When you need a supplier, or would like to be a supplier in Israel, please let me know.
I would be glad to be of assistance in any way I can.
Sincerely, Brian Wood USA (337) 430 4649
It gets cold enough in the winter that this becomes a real consideration.
Anyway, thanks for pointing this out since reflective paints do significantly reduce the insulating problem (and extend the life of the roof!) at least part of the year.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Amazing Homes Made from Shipping Containers
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Quick Tips for Tackling 10 Clutter Hot Spots
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them