Insulating a concrete ceiling / flat roof
The obvious first choice is does the insulation go on top of the existing roof or under the current ceiling.
The current roof is asphalt BUR construction. One roofing contractor suggested adding 2" of hard foam insulation on top of the existing roof and then covering it with a new asphalt BUR.
The second option is to add insulation inside. Since the ceiling is nearly 10' high, this is realistic.
What has been suggested is to glue up the same 2" foam board, and then have plaster put directly on the ceiling. Will this really stick?? Do I need to use some sort of lathing? Do I need a special type of foam board so that the plaster will stick?
Please check the post below on insulation, and my reply to your post at the fixitforem.
Reflective coatings are being used extensively in Israel.
When you need a supplier, or would like to be a supplier in Israel, please let me know.
I would be glad to be of assistance in any way I can.
Sincerely, Brian Wood USA (337) 430 4649
It gets cold enough in the winter that this becomes a real consideration.
Anyway, thanks for pointing this out since reflective paints do significantly reduce the insulating problem (and extend the life of the roof!) at least part of the year.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps