Insulating a concrete ceiling / flat roof
The obvious first choice is does the insulation go on top of the existing roof or under the current ceiling.
The current roof is asphalt BUR construction. One roofing contractor suggested adding 2" of hard foam insulation on top of the existing roof and then covering it with a new asphalt BUR.
The second option is to add insulation inside. Since the ceiling is nearly 10' high, this is realistic.
What has been suggested is to glue up the same 2" foam board, and then have plaster put directly on the ceiling. Will this really stick?? Do I need to use some sort of lathing? Do I need a special type of foam board so that the plaster will stick?
Please check the post below on insulation, and my reply to your post at the fixitforem.
Reflective coatings are being used extensively in Israel.
When you need a supplier, or would like to be a supplier in Israel, please let me know.
I would be glad to be of assistance in any way I can.
Sincerely, Brian Wood USA (337) 430 4649
It gets cold enough in the winter that this becomes a real consideration.
Anyway, thanks for pointing this out since reflective paints do significantly reduce the insulating problem (and extend the life of the roof!) at least part of the year.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Clearing the Air: 10 Natural Ways to Remedy Household Odors
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Celebrity Kitchens: Get the Look
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs