Insulating a concrete ceiling / flat roof
The obvious first choice is does the insulation go on top of the existing roof or under the current ceiling.
The current roof is asphalt BUR construction. One roofing contractor suggested adding 2" of hard foam insulation on top of the existing roof and then covering it with a new asphalt BUR.
The second option is to add insulation inside. Since the ceiling is nearly 10' high, this is realistic.
What has been suggested is to glue up the same 2" foam board, and then have plaster put directly on the ceiling. Will this really stick?? Do I need to use some sort of lathing? Do I need a special type of foam board so that the plaster will stick?
Please check the post below on insulation, and my reply to your post at the fixitforem.
Reflective coatings are being used extensively in Israel.
When you need a supplier, or would like to be a supplier in Israel, please let me know.
I would be glad to be of assistance in any way I can.
Sincerely, Brian Wood USA (337) 430 4649
It gets cold enough in the winter that this becomes a real consideration.
Anyway, thanks for pointing this out since reflective paints do significantly reduce the insulating problem (and extend the life of the roof!) at least part of the year.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love