Insulating a concrete ceiling / flat roof
The obvious first choice is does the insulation go on top of the existing roof or under the current ceiling.
The current roof is asphalt BUR construction. One roofing contractor suggested adding 2" of hard foam insulation on top of the existing roof and then covering it with a new asphalt BUR.
The second option is to add insulation inside. Since the ceiling is nearly 10' high, this is realistic.
What has been suggested is to glue up the same 2" foam board, and then have plaster put directly on the ceiling. Will this really stick?? Do I need to use some sort of lathing? Do I need a special type of foam board so that the plaster will stick?
Please check the post below on insulation, and my reply to your post at the fixitforem.
Reflective coatings are being used extensively in Israel.
When you need a supplier, or would like to be a supplier in Israel, please let me know.
I would be glad to be of assistance in any way I can.
Sincerely, Brian Wood USA (337) 430 4649
It gets cold enough in the winter that this becomes a real consideration.
Anyway, thanks for pointing this out since reflective paints do significantly reduce the insulating problem (and extend the life of the roof!) at least part of the year.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees