OK, so I had a really bad leaky basement. Turns out my neighbor had her downspouts dumping out onto her yard which ran down the bank to my house. She got that fixed and diverted her spouts out to the street where they should be. I also fixed a broken gutter that I have...
Before I go any ****her I put some pictures up on a website site quick. Here's that site: http://home.comcast.net/~lj_web
OK, now that you are all checking out my house. You see how the land from that bank is grated directly towards my house? I'm thinking of grabbing some topsoil and grass seed this weekend and building a swell around the side of my house there and then grade the yard away from my house. I noticed that when it rains a lot of water just sits in my yard and doesn't have any place to go.
My basement doesn't leak when it's raining, only after it stops. I'm thinkin' it's because of that hydrostatic pressure stuff. The ground absorbs the water since it's not running anywhere. I'm hoping/thinking that grating will fix this.
I live in PA, about an hour north of Philly in Reading. The last 2 weeks we got hit with some pretty serious rain storms. I think on Tuesday we got somewhere between 4" and 8" of rain. I maybe only had 2-3 gallons of water sitting on my floor. Will the gratting help/fix that? I'm sure it will help. If I still get a little water in my basement what should I do next? Perimeter drain or is there a cheaper solution if I hardly get any water at this point?
Thanks for your help...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps