OK, so I had a really bad leaky basement. Turns out my neighbor had her downspouts dumping out onto her yard which ran down the bank to my house. She got that fixed and diverted her spouts out to the street where they should be. I also fixed a broken gutter that I have...
Before I go any ****her I put some pictures up on a website site quick. Here's that site: http://home.comcast.net/~lj_web
OK, now that you are all checking out my house. You see how the land from that bank is grated directly towards my house? I'm thinking of grabbing some topsoil and grass seed this weekend and building a swell around the side of my house there and then grade the yard away from my house. I noticed that when it rains a lot of water just sits in my yard and doesn't have any place to go.
My basement doesn't leak when it's raining, only after it stops. I'm thinkin' it's because of that hydrostatic pressure stuff. The ground absorbs the water since it's not running anywhere. I'm hoping/thinking that grating will fix this.
I live in PA, about an hour north of Philly in Reading. The last 2 weeks we got hit with some pretty serious rain storms. I think on Tuesday we got somewhere between 4" and 8" of rain. I maybe only had 2-3 gallons of water sitting on my floor. Will the gratting help/fix that? I'm sure it will help. If I still get a little water in my basement what should I do next? Perimeter drain or is there a cheaper solution if I hardly get any water at this point?
Thanks for your help...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 7 Ways to Make Your New House Look Old
- 11 DIYs for A Soundproofed Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates