I have a single story home that has 30 recessed ceiling lights, of which 15 were recently added and rated as IC. The remaining lights may or may not be IC
rated. Without rummaging around open joists to find out, the insulation company has offered to install a 12" sheet metal sleeve, similar to stove piping, around the lights to keep the insulation away from the can. Is this an acceptable practice ? And should I do it for all of the lights since they have to work near all of the lights anyway ? Thanks for your input.
Yes, the metal sleeves are a standard way of solving this problem. Although you don't have to install the sleeves around the IC rated lights, the bulbs will last longer if you do. Insulating over IC lights is safe but it raises the operating temperature in the fixture substantially. The higher temperature reduces bulb life (particullarly with incandescent bulbs). On the other hand, more heat is lost to the attic around the sleeves. Pick your poison.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!