Here is my situation -
- moved into house in March '13
- on a high point w/ definite sloping away from the house
- finished basement with no signs of water damage in floor, foundations, walls, drywall etc.
- in the unfinished part of the basement there is a sump pit (but no pump)
- about 8 inches up from the bottom of the sump pit is a black perforated drain pipe that goes outside the house and slopes down (I have poured water down the pipe with no problem)
In the 9 months we have lived there I have only seen standing water once in the sump pit - it did not get all the way up to the drain.
Would a sump pump be overkill? Would the existing drain pipe in the pit carry out ALL of the water in the basement if it ever got that high (it is my understanding the sump pit is in the lowest spot of the basement)?
Get Help from Bob Vila
- Give-Aways & Offers
- Monthly Must Do's
- DIY Project Ideas
- Step-by-Step Guides
- Inspirational Photo Galleries