I had read somewhere that you shouldn't use the foam insulation spray around vinyl windows. I am wondering if that is true?
My problem is I had some new vinyl windows installed in my house and when some were installed, there were good size gaps around the windows and now the cold air seems to get through the sides during the winter. I'm sure the same thing was happening opposite in the summer.
I am trying to figure out the best way to insulate around the windows and stop the air from escaping. Thanks for the help.
use low expanding foam in the can. but test on some scrap wood and see how much to put in so you don't overfill and cause the foam to compress extreemly against the window. then cut off excess when dry.
the window companys recomend that you do not use expandable foam . It will void your warranty. On improper installation.
Thanks, I thought so... I don't want to risk damage anyways. Maybe there is an easy alternative? What other options might I have... just stuffing insulation in the cracks? Is there any kind of solid barier I should use for larger gaps?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?