Hi, I got my shower built 1 1/2 years ago and tiles are starting to fall off. About 2 months after it was built, some tiles looked like they were always wet. I tried letting them dry for a long period, but they never returned to there original color, so half of my shower isn't the same color as the other... Grout falls of at some edges... Long story short, now I have to find a new builder to redo the job but I'm very apprehensive. I trusted my 1st builder who never even bothered to come back and see his wonderful job and look where that got me! I would like to be more educated in shower materials so that I don't get wrongly influenced in my decision this time around.
1- I really wanted Epoxy for the grout the last time but I was told that it was not necessary.
So Epoxy or standard grout with booster?
2- In choosing the tiles is it true that some tiles absorbe water and some don't? I'd go to one hardware store and they'd say yes it's true. Then the other hardware store would say that it was not. Who to believe? They were both convincing in there argumentes!
After the problems started in my shower, I was told there were numbers at the back of the tiles to indicate the durability... Is this true and if so, what number should I be looking for to install in a shower?
I sure hope you can help me out and will greatly appreciate any advice you can give. I really do not want to start over in 1 1/2 years again. Have a great one, Nadine
this is my first time hearing of thing like this, i've heard of tiles falling of because water gets behind them do to the poor insulating values of the adhesive, however i've never heard of tiles changing color, i think you should look for a different type of tiles of higher quality, i don't think it was the constructor fault
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!