Two questions regarding sealing concrete block: I've got a building built with split-face concrete block (pink, rough textured stuff). It's apparently not sealed, because whenever it rains, the wall soaks up water and becomes discolored. I've had problems with it transmitting water to the interior - there's basically nothing there except for the block, fiberglass insulation, then drywall.
Is there a product that's better than others for sealing the exterior of the wall? Preferably something easily obtainable that doesn't require extensive prep - acid cleaning or whatever. I've found these:
OKON S-20: www.okoninc.com/productPg-S20.asp
RainGuard MicroSeal: www.rainguard.com/product/micro-seal-multi-surface
NewLook DriveHard: www.getnewlook.com/About-DriveHard.html#anchor_100
NewLoock Proteshield: www.getnewlook.com/ProteShield.html
Good Ole' Thompson Waterseal: www.thompsonswaterseal.com/waterproofing-products/multisurface-waterproofers/clear-multi-surface-waterproofer
I believe the first three are silane/siloxane based and Proteshield is "elastomeric" something or other. All claim to be "breathable". They're all available at Home Depot, but as far as choosing one, I'd basically be picking at random. Has anyone had experience with these products?
Q2) This same block has been used to build a retaining wall around my back yard. I don't have access to the far side of the wall, and in one case, the adjoining yard is at the level of the top of the wall - so when it rains, there's wet earth up against the far side of the wall.
Should I bother sealing the wall, or would I be doing more harm than good, as water will get in from the far side, and then be trapped inside the block?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!