Warm weather means lots of comings and goings, to and from the yard, the deck, and the patio. But when bugs barge in with you, talk about the fly in the ointment! They can land on your food, buzz in your face, bite, sting, and otherwise ruin your day. Fortunately, a magnetic screen door can help you outsmart insects, closing quickly before they can follow behind you. These doors also effectively keep out dust and dirt while still allowing fresh air, sunlight, and breezes to come through.
Unlike conventional hinged screen doors or sliding screen doors, magnetic screen doors generally come as two mesh panels that attach to the frame of the doorway using adhesives, velcro, tacks, or other fasteners. The panels are designed to come together in the middle, similar to a theater curtain, with weighted magnets sewn into the mesh. After someone passes through, the magnets are drawn to each other to close the door quickly, gently, and silently at the seam. This automatic close function on the best magnetic screen doors makes them ideal for active families with kids and pets. The models below represent some of the best magnetic screen doors on the market in a variety of categories.
- BEST OVERALL: Flux Phenom Reinforced Magnetic Screen Door
- RUNNER UP: MAGZO Magnetic Screen Door
- BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: Homearda Magnetic Screen Door, Fiberglass
- UPGRADE PICK: Wolf & Moon’s Bug Off 32 by 96 Instant Screen Door
- BEST FOR PETS: Ownpets Screen Dog Door
- BEST LIGHT-DUTY: AUGO Magnetic Screen Door, Self-sealing
- BEST HEAVY-DUTY: MEGAMESH Magnetic Screen Door
What to Consider When Buying a Screen Door
To shop wisely for the best magnetic screen door, factor in the considerations here.
Precise measurements are required to successfully replace doors and windows, and magnetic screen doors are no exception. Take measurements of the width and the length of the doorway and the existing screen door (if there is one) to accurately determine the correct size of the magnetic screen door to purchase. Some brands come in one size only, but most offer multiple lengths and widths. If your door falls between standard sizes, you may be able to adjust a larger model to fit.
Fiberglass and polyester are the main materials used to create the mesh on magnetic screen doors, but ABS plastic can be used for enhanced durability on specially-made magnetic screen doors for pets.
- Fiberglass mesh is preferred by many people because the material allows ample fresh air to circulate in and through the home. Fiberglass mesh is also more durable, making it the better choice in areas with heavy traffic, like a back door or sunroom.
- Polyester mesh is more affordable, easier to see through, and lets in more natural light than fiberglass. It tends to be less durable, so if going with polyester, opt for good quality polyester with a higher fiber count to increase efficacy.
- ABS plastic frames encase a polyester or fiberglass mesh door in these pet-sized portals. Just a push on the screen gives pets access to the outside.
Magnetic screen doors can come with multiple types of fasteners to hold the door closed and to keep the door installed in its location. Fastener options, in addition to magnets, include tacks and wind-resistant hasps.
- Magnets: These fasteners are used primarily for closing the two sides of the magnetic screen door. Heavy magnets are stitched securely into the hem of the screen and their weight forces the door to automatically close.
- Tacks: Most magnetic screen doors are installed with adhesive on the top and sides of the doorframe. Some manufacturers use reinforcing tacks on the doorframe to increase the strength of the installation. These tacks may have a brass finish or be colored to match the screen.
- Wind-resistant hasps: If your door will be located in a windy area, wind-resistant hasps are a good idea. A hasp is a locking mechanism, such as a leather buckle with a button fastener, or a slotted hinged plate and loop made of nylon. The hasp is located on either side of the magnetic screen door and meets in the center when the door is closed to keep the two sides of the magnetic screen door closed during high winds.
Single or Double Door
Doorways can be a single-door opening or a double-door opening, and before buying a magnetic screen door you need to determine which you have so that you can invest in the correct product to fill the space correctly.
- Single-door magnetic screens are screen doors that measure between 30 to 40 inches wide. They’re less expensive than double-door products because they’re smaller, but they cannot be used to fill double-door spaces.
- Double-door magnetic screens are intended to cover double-door openings, such as a french door walkout to the back deck. These magnetic screen doors range in width from 60 to 80 inches, ensuring that both doors and any filler in between are covered by the mesh screen.
Installation and Maintenance
Magnetic screen doors are generally very simple to install by a DIYer if the manufacturer’s directions are followed. Here are a few considerations to keep in mind during installation:
- Does your door open inwards or outwards? To avoid impeding the swing of the door, install the magnetic screen door opposite to the swing. Inward swinging doors should have screens installed on the outside of the frame. Outward swinging doors should have the screen installed on the inside of the frame.
- Magnetic screen doors must be affixed to the door frame using a strong adhesive, finishing nails, or push pins. The type of frame—metal, wood, or an alternate material—will limit your choice of installation fasteners.
- After installing the magnetic screen door, check that the magnets at the end of each screen link to each other. If they don’t, the installation was done incorrectly and the door will not close properly. You’ll need to remove the door and reinstall it correctly so that the magnets align.
A magnetic screen door must be cleaned and maintained properly to extend the life of the screen. Dust frequently with a microfiber cloth or regular duster to remove the dirt and debris from the mesh and wash weekly with a damp cloth and mild soap. You may prefer to purchase a velcro system that attaches to the doorframe and to the magnetic screen door edging using adhesive. The magnetic screen door is attached to the velcro lining as needed, and just as easily removed for washing by hand in a sink. Mesh screens should always be left to air dry; do not put them in a dryer, which could damage them.
Our Top Picks
The top-rated magnetic screen doors listed below were chosen for quality, price, and customer satisfaction.
The tightly woven, upgraded polyester mesh of the Flux Phenom Reinforced Magnetic Screen Door offers the durability of fiberglass with the visibility and airflow of polyester. The edges are fully reinforced with thumbtacks for extra security, ensuring that the magnetic screen door can stand up to the vigorous comings and goings of pets and kids
This hands-free magnetic screen door fits all door sizes up to 38 by 82 inches—so it’s suitable for any door frame that is 38 inches or less in width and 82 inches or less in height. The mesh can be pushed open by most cats, dogs, or kids, and the 26 heavy magnets running down the seam will close the mesh behind them. A video tutorial is included with the door for easy installation instructions.
The fireproof, corrosion-resistant, heavy-duty fiberglass mesh of the MAGZO Fiberglass Magnetic Screen Door boasts better durability than polyester mesh products. This screen door opens with a push to let you and your pets go in and out freely, while the weight of the strong magnets sewn into the screen edging pulls the two sides back into place. This magnetic screen door uses a windproof sticker hasp design on the middle and the bottom of the screen door to prevent it from being blown open by high winds. There are also extra push pins to help secure the adhesive strips used for installation.
The Homearda Fiberglass Magnetic Screen Door uses velcro strips for quick and easy installation to the doorframe via the adhesive backing. This allows the door to be put up and taken down with ease as needed. Weighted sticks in the bottom edges of the fiberglass mesh screen prevent the 39- x 83-inch door from being blown open.
With 26 powerful magnets sewn into the reinforced edges, the magnetic screen door features a fast yet silent closing. However, if the magnets do not automatically close after installation, you must adjust the two sides so that the magnets align correctly and the door shuts as it should.
Folks with odd-sized door frames will appreciate the Wolf & Moon Instant Magnetic Screen Door. It comes in 14 standard sizes and includes two height adjustment tunnels at the top to allow for customized installation. The durable magnetic screen door uses high-quality polyester mesh to protect your doorway and heavy magnets that allow the mesh screen to close behind people and pets. Perhaps the greatest benefit with this screen door is its hanging mechanism, which resembles a curtain rod. You simply stretch the rod within a doorway without having to use any potentially damaging glue or tacks.
The ingenious 14 x 12 inch Ownpets Screen Dog Door operates like a traditional doggy door but has a mesh doorway to allow airflow into the home. It installs directly into a traditional screen door and opens with a nudge of the head or bat of the paw, allowing pets the freedom to use the yard at will—no scratching or whining to be let out. Plus, there’s a magnetic lock for use at times when you don’t want your furry friends coming in and out. The self-closing door is made of strong ABS material, and reinforcement screws enhance the sturdy design.
Instead of numerous individual magnets, the light-duty polyester Augo Self-Sealing Magnetic Screen Door uses just a single magnet on each side that runs the entire length of the edge from top to bottom to keep the door closed. Yet for times when leaving the door open makes it easier for folks to file in and out, use the sewn-in snaps on the curtain to keep both sides of the screen parted. The 38- x 83-inch screen is installed with strong adhesives and tacks are included for added strength. The screen is hung from a velcro lining, so it’s easily removed for cleaning.
The MegaMesh Heavy Duty Magnetic Screen Door is a heavy-duty option that keeps bugs out and stands up to activity from pets, children, and enthusiastic teens. The polyester mesh screen door is fastened with strong adhesive and tacks, and the velcro frame allows for easy removal. This 34- x 82-inch magnetic screen door has 26 heavy magnets sewn into the reinforced edging, the weight of which pulls the screen down into place after someone walks through. It’s easy to install, though a video tutorial is included so you’ll get it right the first time.
The Advantages of Owning a Magnetic Screen Door
A magnetic screen door in your home, cottage, or trailer keeps your place bug-free while allowing light and air in for ideal ventilation. It will prove especially useful if have pets, as they can pass through to the yard whenever they want—the magnetic fasteners close quickly and quietly behind them before insects, like mosquitos, can get in. While this addition does require regular dusting and washing, magnetic screen doors are otherwise low-maintenance and really allow you to enjoy pleasant weather without the bane of bugs.
- Having a magnetic screen door keeps your home well-ventilated.
- Magnetic screen door maintenance is minimal compared to the benefits.
- Animal lovers truly appreciate not having to be at their pets’ beck and call when furry friends want to come in and out.