The side of our garage is almost entirely shaded. Grass used to grow there (about the width of a lawn mower), but weeds overtook it. We have pulled all the weeds and now just have dirt, but wonder if it is better to put gravel down or plant grass? If gravel, should we put landscaping cloth under it first? If grass, what kind will grow best with little sunlight? There is a basement under the garage, so we do want to keep the water away from the house as much as possible.
Hi. I have the same situation. I sprayed the area with grass/weed killer & put down a thin layer of gray gravel (to match the stonework around a planting bed. It looks great. I didn't put anything under it, and every now & then spray it with the grass/weed killer. You will go nuts trying to grow grass there. Plus, you have to keep it watered, which could be a problem for your basement. A plus to the gravel - one less area to mow! Good luck.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes