The side of our garage is almost entirely shaded. Grass used to grow there (about the width of a lawn mower), but weeds overtook it. We have pulled all the weeds and now just have dirt, but wonder if it is better to put gravel down or plant grass? If gravel, should we put landscaping cloth under it first? If grass, what kind will grow best with little sunlight? There is a basement under the garage, so we do want to keep the water away from the house as much as possible.
Hi. I have the same situation. I sprayed the area with grass/weed killer & put down a thin layer of gray gravel (to match the stonework around a planting bed. It looks great. I didn't put anything under it, and every now & then spray it with the grass/weed killer. You will go nuts trying to grow grass there. Plus, you have to keep it watered, which could be a problem for your basement. A plus to the gravel - one less area to mow! Good luck.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!